Map readability - Font size — TomTom Community

Map readability - Font size

wrtmacttwrtmactt Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
The street names on the maps are in a small font and are hard to read, especially when driving. Sometimes the street names are right on top of the street.When I travel with someone who has built-in GPS in their vehicle, the maps are easy to see. Street names legible. Also the numbered highways are indicated just like the highway number signs. Rather than text "State Highway 33" the familiar shield should be on the map.With the SSD cards, there is plenty of room for alternate maps.
Tagged:

Comments

• bigbig Posts: 1,564 Superuser
    On the Go 600 you can increase the font size, but unfortunately, on your GO 500 you don't have that option.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,076 Superusers
    Hi
    @wrtmactt

Have you considered a Dashboard Mount disc or a Air vent mount to bring the device closer, I use a Dashboard Mount self-adhesive disc for my devices, and can easily read the text even on the 4" devices

ATB YFM
  • wrtmacttwrtmactt Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have it mounted on the dash about as close as I can get to the interior and somewhat centered so the passenger can view it. The screen is about 30" from my eyes. Like the Readers' Digest, I wish they had a big print option. I've read comments that on the 6" GO, the fonts aren't bigger. I'd like to see a side by side photo of the two sizes.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,076 Superusers
    Hi
    @wrtmactt

As requested :)
    My GO 6200....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Display --> Size of Text and Buttons....
    Choose > Small, Medium or Large

Small....

a3wcz0dkcd21.jpg
    Medium....

nzng98azj334.jpg
    Large....

gfblr4swtcmp.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • wrtmacttwrtmactt Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Mine is 5" model. No software setting for font size. I have found the Tomtom to be a much better navigation aid in the 2D display rather than 3D. The maps on my iPhone which has a smaller screener easier to read.
  • hughmozhughmoz Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited June 20
    On earlier TomTom models in the past, before sat navs became computers, the exit motorway signs were easily readable and on the left so that it did not block the route that you are following. Also the speed limit signs were bigger so that you can see them easily. TomTom's designers are lacking common sense on these aspects as, all these details should be easily visible. If as a company you sell a product with a windscreen mount then there is little point in making all the signage a lot smaller than you had it in the past.. On say a motorway exit when it says M5 for example the writing is so tiny that it is hard to read which is not a clever feature on an instrument that is supposed to be guiding you.