spark 3 — TomTom Community

spark 3

I've got the watch for almost 2 years now and the heart rate monitor isn't working properly anymore. Sometimes, during work out, my heart rate is surely over 150 but the monitor says 80 or 90. Which isn't right of course.
The watch is charged fully, so that's not the issue. I don't have it too tight on my wrist, but also not too loose. If I start the workout again it has the same issue. So, what can I do? The heart rate monitor is broken, I guess.. or should I ask the store where I bought it?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,343
    Superusers
    If you have had the watch for 2 years it is likely out of warranty so if it is a watch fault there is nothing the store will be able to do about it. You can try contacting Support and seeing what they can do for you, but again, if it is out of warranty the best you will get is a discount on a replacement (do not do this as TT Sports went out of business well over a year ago and they are dead devices).

There are two issues around heart rate using optical HR monitors, and these are on all devices, not just TT ones: low heart rate and HR spikes. Low HR is often seen in rowing, cycling and weight lifting. Any time you do an activity that squeezes or tenses the forearms (like the pull stroke in rowing, bearing down on your handlebars in cycling, or virtually any weight lifting move) you are squeezing the blood vessels the watch is reading, so it sees this as a reduced pulse. It is not that the watch is having a problem reading your pulse; it is that your pulse at the wrist has dropped because you are temporarily cutting off blood flow to the vessels it is reading. I have experienced this with every optical HR I have used, including a Mio and a Scosche unit. For these sorts of activities, you are better off using a chest strap synced to the watch if getting a more exact reading is important to you.