watch doesn't connect to pc

sweetman70sweetman70 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hello all,
it seems that my recharge cable is broken. Once I connect it to my PC it isn't detected by the system and the sport connect app won't do anything.
Strangely enough, the watch recharge regularly. Well, there is not the large battery icon on the display, but there is the little one under the clock numbers.
Do you think I need to change the recharge cable?
TIA
tony

Answers

  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,451 Superusers
    Is there any damage to the pins in the charger or the contacts on the watch? If any of the pins are bent or deformed straighten them out with a pin and make sure the contacts on the back of the watch are free of tarnish or grime. Also make sure it is fully snapped into the cradle. It would not be a bad idea to also replace the cable. If you are under waranty contact Support for a replacement, otherwise you will need to buy one.
  • sweetman70sweetman70 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I checked the pins and contacts and they seem ok.
    I bought this watch on 27 december 2016. How many years lasts the warranty? I'll ask the TomTom support.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Tony
  • sweetman70sweetman70 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Well, I checked the warranty docs and it seems the warranty is expired. :s
    I've just taken a picture of the watch and zoomed it with the phone. It seems that the contacts are damaged (see here: dw1zh8ip5chn.jpg).
    Perhaps I can make them more conductive solding a bit of metal for welding over them.
    What do you think?
    TIA
    tony
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,451 Superusers
    sweetman70 wrote: »
    Well, I checked the warranty docs and it seems the warranty is expired. :s
    I've just taken a picture of the watch and zoomed it with the phone. It seems that the contacts are damaged (see here:
    Perhaps I can make them more conductive solding a bit of metal for welding over them.
    What do you think?
    TIA
    tony

    Try rubbing them with a pencil eraser to clean them up. It also looks like the second pin on the dock is stuck, try freeing it up with a pin.
  • sweetman70sweetman70 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Nothing to do. I cleaned the pins and contacts but it doesn't charge or connect.
    So I bought a new charging cable: no luck. The watch is dead.
    So, my last resort is try to open it and check if I can repair it myself.
    Is there any guidance on opening the watch? I see there are 6 screws but then? what about water resistance once open?
    Any other suggestion?
    TIA
    tony
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,451 Superusers
    sweetman70 wrote: »
    Nothing to do. I cleaned the pins and contacts but it doesn't charge or connect.
    So I bought a new charging cable: no luck. The watch is dead.
    So, my last resort is try to open it and check if I can repair it myself.
    Is there any guidance on opening the watch? I see there are 6 screws but then? what about water resistance once open?
    Any other suggestion?
    TIA
    tony

    There is no guidance to opening the watch as it voids the warranty and there are no user serviceable parts. It is dead, time to move on to another brand.
  • sweetman70sweetman70 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    tfarabaugh wrote: »
    sweetman70 wrote: »
    Nothing to do. I cleaned the pins and contacts but it doesn't charge or connect.
    So I bought a new charging cable: no luck. The watch is dead.
    So, my last resort is try to open it and check if I can repair it myself.
    Is there any guidance on opening the watch? I see there are 6 screws but then? what about water resistance once open?
    Any other suggestion?
    TIA
    tony

    There is no guidance to opening the watch as it voids the warranty and there are no user serviceable parts. It is dead, time to move on to another brand.

    well, the warranty is already expired. I will try to open it and see if I can make the contacts to work again; there is a couple of videos on ifixt that explain how to open a tomtom runner (really similar to the spark).

    I searched for a new back panel online but I didn't find anything :(.
    I will post my results here, just in case....
    tony
  • sweetman70sweetman70 Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Success!
    I managed to make the watch work again.
    I opened the watch and checked the contacts between the back panel and the watch card. They seemed okay, but I figured they did not touch each other well.
    So I soldered some tin wire on the back panel contacts, just to make them stick out a little bit.
    I reassembled the watch, I put it in charge and ... BINGO! ... it works!
    I spent 1 hour, 8 euros for a torx screwdriver (T4), and 9 euros for the charging cable.
    Hope it will last for another couple of years.
    tony
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online36

36 Guests