GPS Week Number Roll-Over

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    edited February 16
    I suspect your device has already been patched with the required application update.

You can check with support when open:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/988105/customer-support-phone-numbers/p1
  • SerhioSerhio Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    yes i have apps 12.075. My nav born july 2018
  • CupcakeCupcake Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hello All,

The GPS Week Number Roll-over (WNRO) on 6 April 2019 may have an impact on GPS performance. If you frequently update your device there’s no need to worry!
    • Current navigation devices (Nav4) are not affected.
    • Sports and Action devices are not affected.
    • Some older navigation devices (Nav3 = using to MyDrive Connect and Nav2 = using HOME) may be affected.

Hi, as most I have received an email advising of the above and updated my built in device today following the instructions. It is now back in the car and I noticed it had replaced my car symbol with a solid arrow. I change preferences back to car symbol again, it tells me it has changed but the solid arrow is still there. Is there any additional update that maybe causing this issue or is it a bug in the update? Would like to know if anyone else has had this?
  • porcytreeporcytree Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I have the Carminat Tom Tom Navigation system which is built in to my 11 plate Kangoo Van.

The WNRO software update is showing as an available update on Tom Tom Home, however, I cannot actually "select" the update ( the "selected" tick icon remains greyed out and I get the message " this update must be downloaded".

Does this mean that my device is unable to receive the update ( and will develop issues after the 6th April )
  • porcytreeporcytree Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Forget the above question.....I think I've sussed it out.

Cheers
    Porcs.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited March 25
    Is TT really sure some of our devices WILL be affected or is it just a precautionary announcement/scare story/rush out of modified applications/navcores?

Apparently the end of the epoch Week Number Rollover is exactly what it says ... it is a WEEK NUMBER rollover ... so the only devices that are affected are those that use/calculate "weeks" and utilise the "week number" index !!

As most SatNavs don't even use date/day information but simply use "time" then they will NOT be affected !!

https://www.gps-repeaters.com/blog/gps-week-number-rollover-april-6th-2019/

At the bottom it very clearly states:-
    "This situation won’t affect a receiver’s ability to navigate and/or calculate precise time, but it has the potential to create week, month and year timestamps that are wildly wrong. Applications which rely on GPS data at that level may be seriously affected"
  • Bandit4165Bandit4165 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I have an older type GO720. When I try to update the new software for the GPS week it requests that I transfer existing software from my device to my PC as there is insufficient data space available on my GO720 to install the update. To do this I would have to remove everything (map and voices etc) to accommodate the new software update?
  • BalBal Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    Is there a list of devices which cannot be updated? I tried the serial number of an ONE XL which I have lying around and it said it cannot be updated. Apart from entering the serial numbers for every device, can you confirm by model which wont be updatable??
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,578 Superuser
    Hi @bal

I think you may find that whilst some units are no longer being supported with map and Software updates that TT are offering this update for these units as a 1 off. So try and see if there is an update for you. You may have to check whether yo have enough space for the update.

Doug.
    Bal wrote: »
    Is there a list of devices which cannot be updated? I tried the serial number of an ONE XL which I have lying around and it said it cannot be updated. Apart from entering the serial numbers for every device, can you confirm by model which wont be updatable??

How about the last post by LAURE123 a few up from yours?
  • lkrauslkraus Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Bandit4165 wrote: »
    Hi, I have an older type GO720. When I try to update the new software for the GPS week it requests that I transfer existing software from my device to my PC as there is insufficient data space available on my GO720 to install the update. To do this I would have to remove everything (map and voices etc) to accommodate the new software update?

Same lack of space issue with my GO 730. The only thing I can delete that would free up enough space is the map, which would be stupid. I'd try backup>delete map>update> restore except that I'm not confident that the map can be restored or that the update would not be overwritten. We really need more complete instructions from TomTom.
  • Gnasher46Gnasher46 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a GO 520 in attempting to update for the GPS Week Number Roll-Over I can see that there is an application update however I cannot select it and cannot download it. Help please kaqeizqlpxjf.png 7rbpn6097ki0.png

• dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    It's automatically selected for you. I'd suggest you uncheck the other choices till the application is the only one selected to download and install.

Then do the others.
  • Gnasher46Gnasher46 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dhn wrote: »
    It's automatically selected for you. I'd suggest you uncheck the other choices till the application is the only one selected to download and install.

Then do the others.

Many thanks, I see that now. It now appears that I don't have enough memory to install the update. Ho hum!
    I totally agree Ikraus.
    Is it possible to overcome the data storage size limit by installing the maps and operating system for the TomTom 720 etc on the optional SD card? This latest update would then easily fit with the maps, voices etc.
  • pr100pr100 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    According to the TomTom techie I spoke to yesterday, not installing the WNRO application update will definitely render my GO 730 unusable as no map screens would be able to load. Since I couldn't free up enough space on my memory card to install the bloated new app, my only option was to delete my 1.6GB Western & Central Europe map and download instead the Western Europe subset map, which the techie talked me through.

So, I lose some maps but the device continues to work. While this was the only solution for my 10-year old 730, it may not apply to other models/vintages - or to other installed maps.
    Is TT really sure some of our devices WILL be affected or is it just a precautionary announcement/scare story/rush out of modified applications/navcores?

Apparently the end of the epoch Week Number Rollover is exactly what it says ... it is a WEEK NUMBER rollover ... so the only devices that are affected are those that use/calculate "weeks" and utilise the "week number" index !!

As most SatNavs don't even use date/day information but simply use "time" then they will NOT be affected !!

https://www.gps-repeaters.com/blog/gps-week-number-rollover-april-6th-2019/

At the bottom it very clearly states:-
    "This situation won’t affect a receiver’s ability to navigate and/or calculate precise time, but it has the potential to create week, month and year timestamps that are wildly wrong. Applications which rely on GPS data at that level may be seriously affected"

Yes, you can run the app & maps etc from either internal or SD card (to 32Gb) and even "switch maps" from one on internal to one on an SD card or even have just the application/navcore and/or maps on either memory as these can read both memories in parallel unlike the older pre-x20 devices which could only run on one OR the other.
  • rarthurrrarthurr Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have an old TomTom XXL (2gb) that, although it is no longer fully supported, needs the WNRO update. But it is not offered in TomTomHome when I try to update the device.
    When I enter the GL.. serial number, the device check button returns that I do need the update. I have a TomTom support email pending, but fear that April 6 will "kill" my device unless the update is installed in time. Any thoughts?
    Thanks "justmebrowsing"'

I have copied all the files on the internal drive of my Go 720 to the USB drive. I then used TomTom Home to install the latest software update. Then deleted original files on the internal drive and copied all the new installed files from the USB drive to the internal memory. There is still 166Mb free on the internal memory after the software updates and the GO works normally.
    Cheers Guys.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,498 TomTom Moderator
    Hello everyone,

I have edited the announcement and added some video links.

These explain more details about the WNRO..

Regards
    Vikram

Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • erbe2erbe2 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    The WNRO application update for my GO 720 is 420 MB. Come one, the original applications were at least 10x smaller, the 420 MB cannot be correct. This will never fit next to my map. So, what next?

ps.
    Instructions for the Mac TT Home are are not helpful: the update to 2.11.6.150 will crash TT Home.
    Best then is a 1-liner: trash the application, and just redownload and install the TT Home latest. And not to give the lengthy instructions (non-applicable for most OSX releases) to remove content of TT Home Download folders, that contain your past maps... (we don't want to loose them yet, unless the GO720 becomes a brick next week).
    erbe2 wrote: »
    unless the GO720 becomes a brick next week).

7 hours & counting! 01.00 tomorrow morning UK time

• erbe2erbe2 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    The GO720 has only 2 GB internal memory. I installed the new WNRO application 9.541 on an external 4 GB memory card: the application is only 40.6 MB on the external memory card. However when I copy this back to my Mac, it becomes 420 MB again. ???

Come one, TT programmers, fix this: give us an update!!! The 40.6 MB easily fits on the internal memory of the GO720 next to my map. The extra memory card is for other maps.

ps2. ...so no brick yet....