GO 6000 won't start — TomTom Community

GO 6000 won't start

My GO 6000 has developed a weird behavior:

When removing the key from the car (=power supply to Tomtom shuts off), the device goes into standby, as always.
When turning the key (=power supply on) the device either does nothing, starts as normal, start to boot but hang for ages showing a shadowed world map or simply does not react at all. May also turn on a weak light in the display (not graphics, just grey-ish), then hang forever. It is my feeling that after standby for less than 8 hrs the chance of it starting is better, but this is not documented and definately not predictable

I can then short-press the power button, long-press-hold the button to attempt a drum-roll restart, disconnect power and reconnect or a sequence of the mentioned in random order. May take a few attempts and some time, but until now eventually has started at last. Apparently no pattern in the behavior.

I've tried a reset to 'factory settings' (button on device bottom edge), to no avail. Even before making my personal settings it still was weird.

Battery time seems ok, but I've had the battery replaced to cut that issue out. My power supply displays volt/amp and whereas the Tomtom pulls some 340 mA when in normal operation, it will take close to 1000 mAh when acting up.

The pc software and the device is updated and as per Mydrive Connect.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• SpiDSpiD Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    ^Bump

Anyone?
    edited March 2019
    Just wanted to vent my annoyance :/

As you can see I got no response to this quest. Tried Tomtom support but they hide well and run you around in circles while proposing answers to your question wihtout hitting the ball.
    Phone call? Nope - "we've changed to Live Chat". Hmm. You may think that you have but it certainly isn't alive. Waiting more than half an hour to no avail makes me think "Dead chat".

It might be that Tomtom think a 4 year usable life is OK but could we at least discuss it - and how to probably select a follower? Nope!

During my search I noted quite many unhappy users complaining over customer support, Lifetime maps that went obsolete, battery issues and what not. Made me think.

Went to get a feel and touch of their latest, the GO 6200. None of the many dealers near me had one - and the largest of them told me that since the 6200 is now 3 years old they won't stock it - in anticipation of a follower :#
    Finally found one on display and tested it in the shop. Not in any notable way different from the 6000 - might have new features but same response time, lag on action etc.

All in all Tomtom managed to get the message through: They are so pleased with themselves and their deals with car manufacturers, that the consumer segment can be ignored.

Point taken. Customers will manage perfectly well without Tomtom - the opposite will prove not to be true.

I can share the information that a Garmin DriveSmart™ 65 has a larger, sharper display, is way faster, much more responsive and can connect to your mobile for a better use of connectivity than the Tomtom SIM provides. Has some other features that differ from Tomtom too. And - it is a tad less expensive than GO 6200

Go figure...

Bye-bye Tomtom B)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,105
    Superuser
    Hi @SpiD

Sorry you have not had any responses . This is the first time I have seen your post.

One thing I would say is that you have said that you have tried the Factory Reset using a Button on the bottom. The Tomtom GO6000 does not have a button on the Bottom. To do. a factory Reset you have to:-

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Rest Device
    Tap Agree that you know it will remove all your data.

Once you have set it up including logging it into your Tomtom account then it will restore any Favourites , Poi and Route files you may have loaded on it via the Inbuilt Mobile Sim.

You indicate that it is probably in the car all the time and that it sometimes struggles when you turn the ignition on. I suspect that the battery is struggling with longish periods with no charge whilst in Sleep Mode. Also have you got the GO 6000 plugged into the Cig Socket with the TT plug that came with the unit. If you have it connected via a USB socket it will not be getting enough power to run and charge as well.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,417
    Superusers
    Hi
    @SpiD

Try pausing for a moment with the ignition switch in the AUX position, check that your tomtom is starting, then start the car.

Apparently some cars turn the power socket off while starting the car, If you turn the key quickly your tomtom gets confused with the on/off/on power pulse.

ATB YFM
    @Doug: Yes, the button is on the screen, not the ususal pin-hole. All has been tried to no avail. Replacing the battery changed nothing either.

@YamFazMan: My car has power to the socket already when unlocking the doors - and half an hour after shutting the engine off. When the device decide to start (snap out of standby) it is ready even before I start the engine. If it doesn't start like this, the play begins. Lately I've had luck with 2 x fast press on the standby button then hold until drumroll. Also had luck disconnecting power, then hold the standby button while connecting power. However, nothing is certain, always random.

I've been very happy with the Tomtom way of working but when it won't work there's nothing to like. And the lack of customer support p!ssed me off.

I'm getting to like the Garmin. Nice features and so much faster.
    edited December 2019
    Just wanted to get back to my issue. The darn thing still is no better. Latest update to v10 failed half way through and now cause the device to state "No available data". Reinstall or buy new map.
    On a device with alleged life time maps? Don't think so.

In about ten minutes this device is going to be dumped into the bin.
    Will get another GARMIN DRIVESMART65 FULL EU MT-D.

A shame as I really liked Tomtom when it worked. . Just had enough of Tomtom's so called quality and customer support.

Of course I'll tell everybody to stay clear of Tomtom.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,417
    Superusers
    Hi
    @SpiD

On the rare occasions I have a problem with myDrive Connect
    I Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller then Reinstall MyDrive Connect....
    Using the Method Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1682074/#Comment_1682074

ATB YFM