Sports app crashes and/or is unresponsive

TeiTei Posts: 43 [Outstanding Explorer]
I got a new phone about a month ago (Sony xperia), and TomTom MySports app worked perfectly for a couple of weeks, and then suddenly it stopped working: most of the times it crashes or closes immediately after starting. Actually it is the GUI that crashes I think, the app is still in my phone's "recent items" list, from where I can re-open it, but it closes soon after. I have uninstalled and re-installed the app several times, and cleared data etc., and the app works correctly only once after each installation so that I have been able to upload my activity. On subsequent attempts it crashes again. On some occasions I see briefly a window that asks me to report the problem, but it flashes so quickly that I can't see what the other options are. On other times when the app does not close immediately, it is mostly unresponsive.

Any ideas what is causing this? I have not updated anything, but there might have been some automatic phone updates from Sony that is causing this.

Answers

• ArunattomtomArunattomtom Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited January 30
    Hello,
    my sports app is crashing on my OnePlus 6 device, when I view the deatil of a marathon run. After that app constantly crashing. Did anyone one has any thoughts on this ?

Thanks
    Arun
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,717 Superusers
    All I can suggest is to uninstall and reinstall the software. You first need to remove the watch from the phone's BT menu (in iOS you have it forget the device) after you reset or try pairing again. The steps are: uninstall the app, remove or forget the watch from the phone's BT menu, reinstall the app, select Pair New on the app, select Pair New on watch (press down from the clock and select Phone>Pair New, not Sync) and follow the prompts on the phone. You should not be pairing the watch first through the phone's BT menu; it is all done through the app and you must have the phone forget the watch in the BT menu before re-pairing. If that does not work try factory resetting the watch and then doing it.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • TeiTei Posts: 43 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have a similar problem. I got a new phone about a month ago (Sony xperia) and the sports app worked perfectly for a few weeks, then out of a sudden it stopped working completely. It crashes immediately when I launch it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, and it works for the first time after each re-installation so that I can connect my watch, but on subsequent attempts, it crashes.

I followed the steps above, but it did not help. Any other ideas?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,017 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Tei,

Can you try re-installing the Sports App as suggested by tfarabaugh and also remove the TomTom_MySports folder from the internal storage of your device?

Once this is done, pair the device again from scratch by resetting the connections and removing the existing Bluetooth connections from your smartphone, see here: Android

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• kat.scottkat.scott Posts: 0 [New Traveler]
    Since yesterday, the MySportsApp keeps crashing, sometimes instantly after I try to open it, other times, it freezes then crashes. I also cannot get my watch to sync,unless I uninstall and reinstall the app, then forget device, and reconnect it with the app. I have to do this everytime I want to upload activity data. This has only started happening yesterday and is very very frustrating. Samsung S9 phone, with no updates outstanding. Last android update was 1 week ago.
    Hi there,

Can you try re-installing the Sports App and also remove the TomTom_MySports folder from the internal storage of your device?

Once this is done, pair the device again from scratch by resetting the connections and removing the existing Bluetooth connections from your smartphone, see here: Android

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.

• AndyhxAndyhx Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have same issue with my P20 Pro. App crashes after a few seconds. Started doing this yesterday.

Advice appreciated
    Hi there,

Please follow the steps in my comment here and let us know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard

• casifcasif Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have a Android P with Android ONE smartphone.
    Starting the app all information of the todays running session are shown, after 5 sec die app crashed.

I have tried to reinstall the app and to delete the TomTom_MySports folder.
    Nothing helps?
  • annerieannerie Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    My phone doesn't want to open the app. its closing itself. I deleted the app and tried to download it again but still the same problem. Help please I love seeing the stats after I exercised and it's making it more difficult
  • annerieannerie Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    My phone is doing exactly the same. I've got a Huawei P20 Pro.
    I'v tried to delete everything and downloaded it again, switched my phone off and nothing changed.

Did you managed to get yours going again?
  • 20snake2120snake21 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Mine seems to do the same thing. I did what Lampard said but it still doesn't work...
  • patpalloonpatpalloon Posts: 105 [Master Explorer]
    edited February 23
    My phone recently upgraded to android 9. Since then the TomTom app won't work. It crashes every time you open it. I have raised it with tt. They suggested reinstalling the app after deleting the tt folder on the phone and unpairing the watch. Unfortunately this hasn't solved the problem so I suspect the app needs a bug fix. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Blackbox2342Blackbox2342 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    patpalloon wrote: »
    My phone recently upgraded to android 9. Since then the TomTom app won't work. It crashes every time you open it. I have raised it with tt. They suggested reinstalling the app after deleting the tt folder on the phone and unpairing the watch. Unfortunately this hasn't solved the problem so I suspect the app needs a bug fix. Has anyone else had this problem?

Got the exact same problem and my phone just updated to Pie.

Weirdly my partner has a FitBit and had a similar issue when she updated to Pie. It's clearly an issue related to Pie though.
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi there,

Please follow the steps in my comment here and let us know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard

Lampard that's made no difference for me. The app is unresponsive on opening. I can't click any of the tabs and if I try to press anything nothing happens. After about 15-20 seconds it just crashes
  • Sarah7667Sarah7667 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    My app was working perfectly for 3 months with my Huawei p20 but all of a sudden it is now unresponsive, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times with no luck.
    Looks like alot are having the same issue, any way of fixing at all??
  • SunilDongreSunilDongre Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    I have the same issue. I brought a new Pixel 3 and the app worked for some time. and then since Jan 2019 the app has stopped working. there are 2 symptoms:
    1. The application crashes as soon as you launch it.
    2. uninstalling it and reinstalling it will prompt a reconnect to the watch which fails. the second time you launch the app, it again crashes and the option to connect to the watch cant be accessed, the app crashes on the phone before that.
    Sarah7667 wrote: »
    My app was working perfectly for 3 months with my Huawei p20 but all of a sudden it is now unresponsive, have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times with no luck.

The worst part is not knowing whether they'll be any support or fix
    Sarah7667 wrote: »

The worst part is not knowing whether they'll be any support or fix

There will not be ix. TT Sports went out of business almost 18 months ago and ceased all development, laying off the entire sports Division. It is what it is.
    Hi all,

Thank you for feedback's! Can you please mention the Phone model and Android version installed on it?

Also, I want to reiterate that we'll continue to sell wearable's and, of course, we will continue to support them in terms of service and warranty. Although we cannot comment on our roadmap, there will be a continuous support through the usual Customer Care channels.

Regards, lampard

@lampard As far as I know in most countries the wearables have been pulled from store shelves and you are only selling existing inventory, correct? While Support will continue, is there any active development working on existing issues? There is a difference between continued support and continued development and I was under the impression the development side has ended. I think it is important to clarify to keep user's expectations in check.
    Hi tfarabaugh,

We are indeed no longer producing new watches, support will be available to the user's in terms of warranty. There'll not be any new feature additions for the watch but only the major bug fixes and updates on the Sports App.

For now, we're looking into the sync issues with some iOS devices and crashing of the Sports App on Android 9.

Regards, lampard

lampard wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thank you for feedback's! Can you please mention the Phone model and Android version installed on it?

Also, I want to reiterate that we'll continue to sell wearable's and, of course, we will continue to support them in terms of service and warranty. Although we cannot comment on our roadmap, there will be a continuous support through the usual Customer Care channels.

Regards, lampard

Android 9 and Nokia 6.

It is still not working since the system update to 9.
    Hi @annerie

Sorry for late reply! Can you please mention the Phone Model and Android version installed on it?

Cheers, lampard

• QRunnerQRunner Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I found a temporary fix for my device (Xiaomi MI A1, running Android 9).
    After a big run (60km of snowboarding) the app would crash and be unresponsive. Reinstalling and removing TomTom folder from internal memory didn't fix it. Removing the SDCARD/Android/data/com.tomtom.Sports additionally did fix the problem! It removed the big run from the local app, don't click on the big run otherwise the problem will come back. Smaller runs can be opened just fine after this fix. I hope this helps you out as well.

Tomtom should look into why these big runs makes the app crash.