Fitness Points displayed on Watch Always Says 3 Stars and Overdrive? — TomTom Community

Fitness Points displayed on Watch Always Says 3 Stars and Overdrive?

elinormoonelinormoon Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
Hi,

Whenever I view today's fitness points on my watch (by pressing the left button and scrolling down), however active I have been in the past few days it always displays 3 stars and "overdrive"? I believe it is meant to show the number of stars achieved in the last 3 days and the fitness level currently achieved? This mornings cycle only earned 30 points yet it still says three stars and overdrive? The article below explains "After seeing an overdrive alert, it will become increasingly hard to earn more Fitness Points that day. This is because your body needs time to recover before you do more exercise." So since it is incorrectly showing "overdrive" is it also miss-calculating my fitness points?

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/watch2016/html/en-us/ViewingFitnessPointsonyourwatch.htm

Thanks!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,630
    Superusers
    I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It uses your calculated VO2Max (which will be wrong as no watch can compute this) to calculate points. It is not the amount of exercise that matters, it is the intensity. Unless you are in Z3 or higher for a substantial part of your workout it will not change anything. If your workouts are walks or jogs or anything that is not intense, it will have no impact on the age and points. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • elinormoonelinormoon Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It uses your calculated VO2Max (which will be wrong as no watch can compute this) to calculate points. It is not the amount of exercise that matters, it is the intensity. Unless you are in Z3 or higher for a substantial part of your workout it will not change anything. If your workouts are walks or jogs or anything that is not intense, it will have no impact on the age and points. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.

That doesn't address my question - my concern is the watch's display of fitness points being incorrect - not the calculation of the points themselves. (A secondary concern is that it does not calculate points correctly due to it thinking I am in "overdrive".)

Yes, obviously, it is always going to be an estimation - but when TT have got a system in place that calculates "Fitness Points", my question was regarding wanting to understand why the output on my watch is not the same as the output on my TomTom my Sports profile online.

Yes, fitness age and fitness points to some are an irrelevant measure - however I do find them a useful tool to compare a "hard" cycle to work opposed to a casual cycle.