Why is it possible to buy a £150 car sat nav with live traffic built in, but a £400 bike sat nav nee — TomTom Community

Why is it possible to buy a £150 car sat nav with live traffic built in, but a £400 bike sat nav nee

SanDanSanDan Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 30 in RIDER
I despair of the disparity between the pricing and features of car and bike sat navs.

I understand a bike sat nav is (supposedly) waterproof and shockproof, so the case is more expensive, but surely the guts of the thing are similar?

Why has my kids £150 sat nav got live traffic built in and my £400 bike sat nav hasn't?

My current "smart" phone doesn't allow Bluetooth tethering, so the Tom-Tom services are unavailable, and useless.

SURELY it's possible to have these things built-in to a bike sat nav, or is it because we're seen as easy pickings for manufacturers?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,972 Superusers
    Hi
    @SanDan
    SanDan wrote:
    My current "smart" phone doesn't allow Bluetooth tethering, so the Tom-Tom services are unavailable, and useless.
    Do you mean you can't connect to Bluetooth using the Tomtom MyDrive iPhone or Android Apps or you can't even connect using a Basic Bluetooth tether

My Nokia 625 Win10 Phone connects OK for live traffic using a Basic Bluetooth tether

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Apparently it's because it was a "T Mobile" phone. They disabled bluetooth tethering in the software or something. I might be able to get it back by "rooting" it, but I'm loath to do that.

Not tried the mydrive app.
  • tugmantugman Posts: 337 [Revered Navigator]
    By the question was not answered why is built in traffic not available as an option on the 400 like on car sets.

This having to activate the tehering option on my phone is a right pain as everytime my 400 turns of it uncouples the connecton. It means that I can not just stop for a cuppa without having to mess about reconnecting it unlike the route that immediately reactivates and of I go.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 247 [Exalted Navigator]
    On the Dutch TomTom site the cheapest device with TomTom Services via built-in SIM costs 299.99 Euro (Go5200)
    Comparable devices without SIM cost more than 100,- Euro less.

The Rider 500 is 379,99 Euro on the TomTom site. Only an extra RAM mount kit is 100,-.
    Making it waterproof (IPX7) and all the Rider special functions are expensive for TomTom in this small market of bikers.

I don't think many bikers are willing to pay the 100,- euro's extra for a built in sim (except you and me of course)