GO720 UPDATE

Allan1507Allan1507 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Help and advice required please: I have a GO 720 which now has very little functions available to download other than general updates via “home 2”through “back up.

Recently I attached my device to “home 2” only to find there is an update available showing I must download, however when proceeding to “Update & Install” I find I have to free up space 245MB in order to download the Application. I can remove various items which total 78MB but this insufficient this only leaves me with my Maps 1 item = 1649MB which of course would be adequate to remove to install the new update. My concern is if I do a “Back up & Restore to my Laptop prior to removing my Maps then proceed with the download available, would I be able to restore my Maps entirely back onto my GO 720 or not.

I realise TomTom will no longer support my device but at the age of 80 I see no need reason to purchase another Sat Nav because this model works perfectly well and gives me the reassurance of the roads plus any UK Speed Camera’s ahead, therefore should I remove and update as suggested or do nothing and leave my device as it is......working.

Any advice would be appreciated but please not to technical.
Allan1507

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 32,883 [Superusers]
    First of all, I would suggest a manual, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. See here:
    https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/how-to-backup-the-contents-of-your-unit-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

Now then, depending upon when you last did a Home update of the application, I have a concern your map will no longer function with the updated application.

You can add a 8 gb sd (NOT sdhc) card to your device to handle additional space needed. Then use Windows' File Manager to move the map from the drive representing internal storage of the device to the drive representing the sd card added to the device. For example, the internal drive might ve shown as E:/ and the sd card as F:/

So, do the manual backup first. Add the card. Then, if you've gotten this far, move the entire map folder from internal to the card. The map folder will be shown in yellow and might be labelled something like 'UK&ROI'. Move the entire folder.

Then go for the application update.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 294 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    The x20/30/40/50 series devices like yours certainly CAN take SDHC cards (even up to 32Gb at a stretch), unlike the older models!
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,883 [Superusers]
    My error, I meant microsdhc cards. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Allan1507Allan1507 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have in the past updated my device on a regular basis and never had a problem with any previous updates, so thank you for your response and your advice to my concerns it is much appreciated.

This has given me much more confidence by following your instructions on how to continue with this update.
    Regards
    Allan1507