Problems with SD Card and Voice Control

Even though I have installed and formatted an SD card on my TomTom Go 50, I can only put things on the internal memory. Nothing will move on to the SD Card. I have checked and the SD card is supported (I even tried a different one) but nothing works. The TomTom says that the SD card is formatted and ready to be used. What am I doing wrong?

To get the latest map on, I had to deleted all the unwanted voices, but now my Voice Control says "cannot be used with your display language". People have suggested that I need to download the Serena and Malcolm voices but I can't find these anywhere. How do I get these back on my TomTom?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 32,896 Superusers
    Call support Monday to have the voices added to your account:

:flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

The MyDriveConnect places only maps on sd cards, not voices.
  • GoldenEagle69GoldenEagle69 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    So when I tried to install a map on the device with all the voices installed it just kept saying that there wasn't enough room for the map. There was never any option to install the map on the SD Card. Why? The only option I had was to remove the voices to make enough room for the map. At no point did anything say that by removing Serena and Malcolm would it have any affect on the operation of the device. This is very poor.

Why can't support just added the voices back onto my account from here? I work during the hours stated and it will be almost impossible for me to make a call during these times.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 915 Superuser
    Hi all,

@GoldenEagle69

You are on a user forum, TomTom support is only open during the hours given by @dhn.

EU maps, even with fewer buildings, have become too big for the on-board memory (8GB) of our devices. The operation of the device is blocked by the lack of free space as you can see.
    To remove the voices you have used the software MyDrive Connect (MDC), to reinstall it's also with MDC.

- 1/ Install EU full map on the micro SD card to free up space on internal memory. Because of its size 8199 MB MyDrive Connect (MDC) will put it directly on the micro SD card. Try this:
    ==> Open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Install Full Map With Buildings".

- 2/ Only after, install Serena and Malcom voices, look at this topic and open "show content", see the 3rd:
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-474/install-and-remove-voices-with-mydrive-connect-1022208

Regards.
    Start25 M / GO5100 + microSD 32GB
  • GoldenEagle69GoldenEagle69 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you very much for helping me to resolve this.

I ended up buying a new 16Gb SD Card as the one that was in there was only 8Gb and not big enough for the new maps. I formatted this for "maps" use and then followed your instructions which worked perfectly.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 915 Superuser
    Hi @GoldenEagle69

Oops... sorry :blush: I had not thought of a micro SD card too small, 8GB = only 7.4GB usable. Indeed a minimum 16GB card is needed (max 32GB)

Glad that everything went well for you and that you have a functional device again. :slight_smile:
    Start25 M / GO5100 + microSD 32GB