Various issues with my watch

Laura LLaura L Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 31 in TomTom Adventurer
My watch used to take a long time to sync activities with the Sports app on my Android phone (several minutes, easily 15 or so). Now it just doesn't sync anymore, I can only sync by connecting the watch to my computer. I'd like it to sync with the phone, and quickly, as it is meant to.

My watch sometimes takes a very long time to get ready to track a new activity. I especially noticed it with running. I have been out for group runs, starting out on the street where satellite signal should not be an issue, and the watch stays in 'please wait' for a good few minutes, meaning I have to start running and miss recording for up to 1 km or so.

When swimming at the swimming pool, my watch does not keep accurate count of laps. Sometimes it records a full lap when I am only in the middle of one.

How do I get it to work properly? Unpairing and re-pairing didn't make any difference.

Thanks

Laura

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,171 [Superusers]
    For the syncing issue, you should uninstall and then reinstall the app, along with a factory reset to reset all the pairing codes. It may help but it is still not a particularly fast process, just due to the way it is programmed. You first need to remove the watch from the phone's BT menu (in iOS you have it forget the device) after you reset or try pairing again. The steps are: uninstall the app, remove or forget the watch from the phone's BT menu, factory reset the watch, reinstall the app, select Pair New on the app, select Pair New on watch (press down from the clock and select Phone>Pair New, not Sync) and follow the prompts on the phone. You should not be pairing the watch first through the phone's BT menu; it is all done through the app and you must have the phone forget the watch in the BT menu before re-pairing.

For the GPS issues, are you updating the QuickGPS file a minimum of every three days by syncing the watch? This caches the expected satellite locations and makes for quicker attainment. Also, do not try to get signal while moving, you are just making it harder on the watch. Best to just sit still with the button pointing skyward (or take it off and place it on a flat surface) until it finds the GPS. Make sure the watch is in an unobstructed area without large buildings, tree cover or reflective surfaces as this will cause a lot of interference. It will also take longer the first time you are in a new location but will speed up thereafter as it caches the location data for that spot. Once you get the Go it is best to give it another minute or two as Go is just the minimum satellites locked on. The longer you wait the more it will grab and the better your signal will be.

For swimming, miscounting laps is common with most swim watches to some extent. It is using an accelerometer to try and figure out when you are reaching for the wall to turn, but you need a very strong turn to trigger it. You also need to be consistent in your stroke (freestyle works best), do not pause or slow at all mid-lap, among other things. It counts strokes in the same way it counts laps, by the accelerometer, so any variation in stroke may cause it to miss a stroke. Just like with lap counting, it is meant to give a rough estimate, it will never give you a perfect count, the technology just isn't there yet. You can search the forums for swimming accuracy related posts (try a variety of search strings) and will find a lot of posts on it. In a nutshell, it is only an estimate and is highly variable based on the user. You need to be using a consistent stroke (freestyle is best), push very hard into the turns (it recognizes a turn by the accelerometer using a force thrust), do not pause mid lap, among other things.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Laura LLaura L Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi tfarabaugh,

I really appreciate your reply. Very comprehensive and gave me a lot of hope. I performed the full uninstall/ reset/ reinstall / pair new procedure last night and I recorded a new activity this morning. Unfortunately the phone still didn't sync the activity. The app was connected with the watch, updated QuickGPS, and the status showed as synced however my activity was not coming up on the app at all. What is happening??

Your reply to the other issues was helpful. I do a weekly run in the city centre so I can't avoid having tall buildings around. Yesterday the GPS signal was picked up ok. Fingers crossed. And with swimming, ok, I will have to accept that the technology is not perfect yet.

Any other suggestions to fix the syncing issue will be much appreciated.

Laura
    Does it show up when you log into the MySports website? Possibly a disconnect between the app and MySports.
    I didn't check on the website before syncing with the computer.
    I can try again tomorrow and check for that, though it would be very strange if the sync is done through the app but the activity does not show up on the app, but shows somewhere else...
    Laura L wrote:
    I didn't check on the website before syncing with the computer.
    I can try again tomorrow and check for that, though it would be very strange if the sync is done through the app but the activity does not show up on the app, but shows somewhere else...
    All the app is is a reflection of what is on MySports. Syncing is uploading it to the TT servers and MySports and it then gets posted to the app, so it is entirely possible to have it on MySports and not on the app. it normally means that the app has become somehow disconnected from you account. Support can sort it out if you contact them.
    I did the whole uninstalling/resetting/pair new procedure again, and tried to sync a new activity with the phone today. Still no luck.
    The app on the phone goes through:
    • Preparing to sync
    • Updating QuickGPS
    • Tidying up - and gets stuck at 100%. It never syncs the activity.
    I waited 1 hour or more. I tried closing the app and opening again. Same thing.
    The app appeared to be connected to the watch, and said it was last synced "just now" but my activity was not appearing on my phone or on MySports.
    I see that a lot of people have that issue of getting stuck at the 'tidying up' stage. How do I fix this?
    Thanks
    Laura
    Laura L wrote:
    I did the whole uninstalling/resetting/pair new procedure again, and tried to sync a new activity with the phone today. Still no luck.
    The app on the phone goes through:
    • Preparing to sync
    • Updating QuickGPS
    • Tidying up - and gets stuck at 100%. It never syncs the activity.
    I waited 1 hour or more. I tried closing the app and opening again. Same thing.
    The app appeared to be connected to the watch, and said it was last synced "just now" but my activity was not appearing on my phone or on MySports.
    I see that a lot of people have that issue of getting stuck at the 'tidying up' stage. How do I fix this?
    Thanks
    Laura
    Did you do a factory reset on the watch? Getting stuck at tidying up tends to be because of bad data on the watch that it cannot clear.
    Yes, did the factory reset.
    Laura L wrote:
    Yes, did the factory reset.
    Sounds like you are limited to syncing by computer. The app was always hit or miss at best and an update to the phone may have made it incompatible. Since TT Sports went out of business well over a year ago there is not much they will do but you can always trying contacting support.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
    I see...
    I really appreciate your answers and am marking the last comment as a solution because it's probably the final answer - though, for the benefit of other readers, I must say it's not really a solution.
    Thank you
    Laura
    Laura L wrote:
    I see...
    I really appreciate your answers and am marking the last comment as a solution because it's probably the final answer - though, for the benefit of other readers, I must say it's not really a solution.
    Thank you
    Laura
    Agreed, it is the answer to your problem, but not a solution. unfortunately, I do not think there is a solution that involves easily and quickly syncing by phone (there is but it involves buying a new watch from another brand).
  • LasagnaverdeLasagnaverde Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have the same issue. My tomtom Adventurer is not syncing, neither on the app or the desktop software. Laura L, does your watch sync again after doing the hard reset?