Selective map and buildings installation per country

SpyrosSpyros Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 28 in Map installation
Dear TomTom,

Why can't we individually select which countries we want to download maps and buildings for? Organizing the maps in a few hardcoded bundles causes lots of unnecessary frustration.

My use case: I live in Greece, and I'll be in a road trip to Italy next week. Buildings in Greece are included only in the map bundle "Europe + Eastern Europe + Turkey buildings", while buildings in Italy are only in "Europe + Iberia + Italia buildings". To get buildings in Italy I have to delete my current map to download and install your ~8GB "Iberia + Italia" bundle, then when I return to Greece I have to purge that one to download the ~8GB "eastern Europe" bundle anew... Next month I have to do the same for a trip to the Netherlands... Ugly!

How it should be: Users should be provided with a list of countries, each having three options: (i) basic (highways only), (ii) detailed map, (iii) detailed map + buildings.

I do realize that I could survive in Italy or in the Netherlands with just the maps without the buildings, it's not a life-threatening issue! :-) However, I am seriously let down by products whose software architecture is designed in a non-elegant, suboptimal, and unnecessarily limited manner. Especially when this flexibility has been available ~10 years ago (e.g., Navigon for iOS) and when it's trivial to implement.

Other than that I'm very much loving my TomTom GO 6100!

Best regards,
Spyros

Comments

• LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 819 [Superuser]
    Hi @Spyros

Install the full EU map with buildings for all countries (8199MB) on a micro SD will simplify your life, you will not need to juggle between different EU map zones.

Our devices, I have a GO5100, are originally supplied with this map. Map zones are just variations to have smaller maps. EU maps, even with fewer buildings, have become too big for the on-board memory (8GB) of our devices. The EU map must be installed on a micro SD card class 10 of minimum 16GB (max 32GB).

For the micro SD card, TomTom uses a proprietary formatting mode performed by your device.
    - Put the micro SD card in the TomTom device, previously formatted in FAT32 with your PC.
    - Reset your device: Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds until you hear a drum sound.
    The formatting starts automatically after the Reset, on the screen choose the option "Map".
    - If the formatting doesn't start you can do it manually by yourself.
    ==> go to the main menu of your device (4Dots ....) / Settings / System / Format the memory card / choose the option "Map"

To install the full EU map:
    Because of its size 8199 MB MyDrive Connect (MDC) will put it directly on the micro SD card.
    To open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Install Full Map With Buildings".

For more information about map management on our device types look at this topic, that's what I do with my GO5100.
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/move-data-from-my-go500-to-the-items-sd-card-1041259#post1241492

Regards.
    Start25 M / GO5100 + microSD 32GB
  • SpyrosSpyros Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @LAURE123,

Thanks for the reply, that's very handy indeed!

Maybe TomTom could add this option as "Europe - All buildings" in the listing of European maps. I don't see why it should be missing from that list and be accessible as a special case, especially when "Europe - maps only" is in that listing too.

Still, I believe that complete flexibility w.r.t. selecting which countries' maps should be included, and for which of them to also include buildings, would be a nice suggestion for TomTom product managers & engineers to consider.

Thanks again for a very helpful reply!
    -Spyros