Fitness age — TomTom Community

Fitness age

martinberwickmartinberwick Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi When I first started using my watch I was starting to do short distance runs and my fitness age went from 54 to 36 - I was thrilled - I then gradually started to increase the distance only to watch my fitness age climb back and then go in the not so nice direction So the fitter I was becoming the older was my fitness age - I now run 6km every day with the occasional 9 or 10 km here or there - I consider my fitness to be best ever but now I am an old man 64 If I keep this improvement up I may be dead by the time I reach 10km each day haha Please sort out the algorithm Its should be possible to get an accurate fitness age for all types of runners / It certainly should NOT increase as you do more exercise That is simply not right Please fix it

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,334
    Superusers
    Fitness points are based on reaching a minimum HR during running or cycling activities and is a function of the VO2Max estimates it makes. If you are running at a low effort then it is not increasing your VO2Max so your fitness age will get worse. It has nothing to do with the amount of exercise you do, it is the intensity of the exercise that drives fitness points and fitness age (and only in running and cycling modes). I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age, it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

The algorithm is not going to change considering TT Sports went out of business over a year ago and ceased all production and development. They are dead devices and will remain unchanged until they eventually die out altogether.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • martinberwickmartinberwick Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the info - yes I was aware that you need to work hard to improve it and that is the root cause - Its a shame that they went out of business - I would have suggested to offer different choice of algorithm depending on your type of exercise but anyway thanks for explaining and I will try to ignore this measurement - I would have liked to remove it from the dashboard all together :grin: Cheers
  • C J CrumlyC J Crumly Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi When I first started using my watch I was starting to do short distance runs and my fitness age went from 54 to 36 - I was thrilled - I then gradually started to increase the distance only to watch my fitness age climb back and then go in the not so nice direction So the fitter I was becoming the older was my fitness age - I now run 6km every day with the occasional 9 or 10 km here or there - I consider my fitness to be best ever but now I am an old man 64 If I keep this improvement up I may be dead by the time I reach 10km each day haha Please sort out the algorithm Its should be possible to get an accurate fitness age for all types of runners / It certainly should NOT increase as you do more exercise That is simply not right Please fix it

Everything about how this algorithm works seems to defy logic reason and the 'motivating' messages that appear against the silly range of fitness points allocated per workout.
    Seems to be counter intuitive in every sense - the stars can pile up but the fitness age goes up or the VO2 max goes down!
    I appreciate it is only a measure which can only be based on the accuracy of the inputs - but it seems to me it's just a cycling routine of random ups and downs with no correlation whatsoever to effort - and thats using the better accuracy of an external heart rate monitor.
    I guess if the algorithm is designed around taking running readings from the wrist heart rate monitor, then it just has to be a wildly innacurate measure of what's going on - just as the wrist based heart rate monitor is for running.

What's the point?!