MyDrive is a major battery killer!! (Rider550)

RBEmersonRBEmerson Posts: 48 [Renowned Trailblazer]
edited January 28 in MyDrive and Road Trips
The title says it all. Using Gsam (a battery use report app), MyDrive is a huge power user. Even without Gsam, just looking at the battery level after taking the phone out of a dark place (supresses time of day display = no screen activity at all) over a period or an hour or two shows an outrageous drop in battery remaining percentage. Additionally, the case is noticeably warmer (very active CPU)

Fortunately, my phone is rooted so I can use Titanium (back up app) to "freeze" MyDrive (still stored but invisible to the OS). Reboot the phone and usage returns to pre-MyDrive rates. For non-rooted phones, the only way to stop MyDrive is to uninstall it.

There is no on/off option, no go-to-sleep option. Trying to stop the app through Settings>Apps doesn't work. If MyDrive is visible to the OS, it runs. If, like more than a few users, rides only happen on weekends, MyDrive is running all week long for no useful reason.

In short, MyDrive is the app from h***, the app that will not die. Not Good, TT, Not Good.
Can, will, done

Comments

• WP1950WP1950 Posts: 111 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I've got no solution but just wanted to confirm that I experience the same issue on my Samsung S7. MyDrive is the only app which Android warns me is using battery excessively.

I get that it has to stay awake when connected to a TomTom device. But when it is not in connection with a device, could it not sleep like any normal app?
  • RBEmersonRBEmerson Posts: 48 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    You've summed things up as I see them. When the 550 is in use, it's safe to assume the phone will be on external power, too. Using a pair of 2.4A USB charging points (easy to find), both the 550 and phone batteries will stay up - no worries here.

The problem, then, is making MyDrive "take a nap" until it's time to hit the road.

As I said, with a rooted phone, it's not that hard. I've had no luck with trying to force stop the app. Which, for an out-of-the-box phone, leaves installing and uninstalling as the only alternative for saving the battery.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR, TT
    Can, will, done
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,874 [Superusers]
    Maybe support has some suggestions:

:flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST
    Went there, did that. No switch. "It's not our fault, not all phones have this problem, call Samsung." Where's the "hit my head on the wall" emoji?

I'm not sure if I called TT or Garmin. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...
    Can, will, done
  • WP1950WP1950 Posts: 111 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    RBEmerson wrote:
    Where's the "hit my head on the wall" emoji?

When you find it, please pass it on. I join you in your frustration.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,364 [Superuser]
    I sooooooo need that. TNX!
    Can, will, done