No traffic info with Samsung Galaxy series — TomTom Community

No traffic info with Samsung Galaxy series

ECMECM Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 29 in RIDER
As from the start I bought my rider, it will not give me a stable connection with my
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.
Most of the time it gives simply "service not available". It is driving me mad!

Tested with my wifes S7 (non edge) and my old S4: Same issue.
Tested with another 410: Same issue.
Tested my 410 with an Apple phone: NO issue.

So I keep thinking that the 410 can not work properly with the Samsungs.
Any solutions experiences with the same problem?

ps: All machines are operating on the latest software versions. Bluetooth thetering is on. Etc etc. So there is no "user error". Had done a resets on the 410 etc.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    I’m afraid the Bluetooth tech is a mess... Every implementation has its own quirks.

See the related topics here and some Google search may help you.

From the top hits:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/665872-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-bluetooth-keeps-disconnecting-car-2.html

Some Times disconnection problems has to do with power saving modes.
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634 Superusers
    Have you installed the Tomtom mydrive app on your phone?
    Born free, now in debt
  • ECMECM Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Yes I did
  • EXPORTMANEXPORTMAN Posts: 634 Superusers
    The MyDrive app and Rider 450 or rider 550 worked OK with my G7 and G9
    Once the app is logged into your account and you have paired the app with your device it should be working.
    Born free, now in debt
    It should yes. But is does not....
    Any more idea's in this expert group??
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    "So I keep thinking that the 410 can not work properly with the Samsungs"
    "Bluetooth tethering is on."

good here, s7 and a s9 for the last year, 40/400

what have you tried, where is the issue, does the phone connect to your account on the app, have you tried deleting the bluetooth on the phone to your tomtom, remove the phone from your tomtom, repair and see what happens

might try removing the phone app, and reinstalling

is the service just flakey, but connects and works some of the time ??
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    A wild stab in the dark - have you tried enabling developer mode on the phone?

Also your phone contract - it definitely allows tethering of the internet connection? I know some contracts don't, even though you can enable it on the phone.
    ChrisHall wrote:
    A wild stab in the dark - have you tried enabling developer mode on the phone?

Also your phone contract - it definitely allows tethering of the internet connection? I know some contracts don't, even though you can enable it on the phone.

I made a call to my provider. Even though it did work (sometimes) they state now that they don't support tethering!! Dutch provider is "Hollandse Nieuwe".
    So now I will look for a new subscription in July this year... :rolling_eyes:
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 247 [Exalted Navigator]
    Many phones aggressively close the BT tethering connection.
    With the app Blue Car Tethering you can automatically enable BT tethering when your Rider 410 is connected.

This solved the problem for me. (After my upgrade to a Rider 550 I don't need this App anymore because the MyDrive App controls the connection with the Rider 5x0 series)
    TomTom Rider Projects https://roadrider.jouwweb.nl/
    Thanks RoadRider
    I use that app but it did not solve anything...
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    If I’ not mistaken, MyDrive app may solve the tethering problem if you keep it running on the foreground.
    Update: Other people have no problem with the same provider. I also checked the settings.
  • Tom_Shultz1Tom_Shultz1 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    You need to ensure your "mobile hotspot" on your phone is set to on.

Data needs to flow from your phone to the GPS.

That fixed a lot of issues for me.
  • eatonjbeatonjb Posts: 22 [Master Traveler]
    I have a problem too.. S10 and my S8, it's a hit or miss. no ryme or reason.. I get random reboots, there is so much wrong . I kinda gave up.
  • eatonjbeatonjb Posts: 22 [Master Traveler]
    My other option, that kind of works, is just turning on Wifi Tethering from my phone.. it works, and seems a lot more stable.. but kind of a pain cause you have to turn it on.. but with Bixby routiens on my S10, it lets me turn it on when it sees a connection to my Sena , kind of a trigger..
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 247 [Exalted Navigator]
    You can try the Blue Car Tethering this automatically turns Bluetooth Tethering if is sees the selected Rider connecting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xplota.bluecartetheringauto

For your S8 you can try the following solution; https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1032158/mydrive-does-not-connect-to-my-new-samsung-s8

And also for the S10 there must be a way to make it behave like normal stock Android.
    TomTom Rider Projects https://roadrider.jouwweb.nl/