What TomTom activity is most like a rowing machine? — TomTom Community

What TomTom activity is most like a rowing machine?

StephenB427StephenB427 Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
My TomTom watch includes many activities, but not indoor rowing. Is there any particular activity which is closest to that of a rowing machine. I've tried "treadmill" and "gym" with the former somewhat better once I enter the actual distance I rowed. Alas, I get very few points with rowing, which is more strenuous than my morning runs which gives many more activity points. Many thanks for any suggestions, especially from indoor rowers.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,526
    Superusers
    There is no equivalent activity to rowing. You can use gym mode but you will get no fitness points for it or you can use running and get points but only as they are related to running (it will assume you are running and use that algorithm). In both cases you want to use a chest strap or other external monitor, not the built-in monitor as it will be totally useless for rowing as the constant forearm tension and flexing will give you very bad readings. I use gym mode and a chest strap and don't worry about the fitness points as my VO2Max is above 50 so my fitness age never changes from 20.

I would not worry too much about it as I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • wprinswprins Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    FWIW you do get fitness points in gym mode at least on mine I do, provided it picks up the HR properly, which it sometimes can be coaxed into doing.

I also have the problem though with HR detection being patchy when on my rower, though I've found with some patience and some careful positioning/fastening/loosening and some patience it will usually pick my HR correct and track it for the duration of the rowing session as long as it's steady state. What it does seem to really struggle with is a HIIT session on the rower. It really just loses the plot, and thinks my HR is like 80-90 when it's more like 170-180+ (as measured by chest strap on the rower itself.)
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,526
    Superusers
    wprins wrote: »
    FWIW you do get fitness points in gym mode at least on mine I do, provided it picks up the HR properly, which it sometimes can be coaxed into doing.

I also have the problem though with HR detection being patchy when on my rower, though I've found with some patience and some careful positioning/fastening/loosening and some patience it will usually pick my HR correct and track it for the duration of the rowing session as long as it's steady state. What it does seem to really struggle with is a HIIT session on the rower. It really just loses the plot, and thinks my HR is like 80-90 when it's more like 170-180+ (as measured by chest strap on the rower itself.)

That is because you are constantly flexing your wrists and cutting off circulation. Your pulse at your wrists is actually 80 bpm because the blood flow is constantly being cut off, so the watch is technically right. You are best off with a chest strap or upper arm strap synced to the watch rather than using the internal HR.