VO2max (almost 55) — TomTom Community

VO2max (almost 55)

Runner87Runner87 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
My fitness age is 20 years and the VO2max-indication is 54. In reality my age is 31.

My question: untill this morning my VO2max was 54. I had a "time for training"-message in the app today so I decided to go running for 500 fitness points. I thought that when I get 500 fitness points, the VO2max has to be 54 after running (or higher - not lower). But in fact it is now 53. Not a big issue, but I'm curious about the reason of this.

And my second question: what is the highest VO2max-indication you can get on the Runner 3?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,727
    Superusers
    I would not lend any credence to anything it tells you about VO2Max. There is no way a watch can calculate this, it is simply an estimate based on an algorithm using indirect data (HR). Just because you got the points today does not mean that you increased your V2Max, that will depend on your HR during the workout. Mid-50s is the highest I have every seen on the watch, but I doubt there is a limit. Once you get above 50 or so your Fitness Age will stay at 20, as that is the lowest it can go (they are linked, the higher your VO2Max, the lower your fitness age). I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.