Tomtom 510 Go hard wired but not charging fully.

Jonbhoy1972
Jonbhoy1972 Registered Users Posts: 6
Master Traveler
Hi All,

I was given a TT 510 Go as a gift and in the past have had Garmins which have been hard wired into my car with no issues.As i had little time i took the car to a ICE company who have done work in the past who hard wired it in for me.

About a week after it was fitted i got in the car and it would not turn on,just tried to boot up then turned off and kept doing that.Strangely enough though when it did my Parrot Bluetooth phone system kept turning on and turning off until i removed the Tomtom then all was fine.I took the TT inside and charged it up via the mains then put it back in the car and all worked well.

About a week later the same thing happened again so took it back and the guy said he checked it all over and all he could think is theres an issue in the 12v usb charger that was the official TT one that came with the kit.

Now im totally at a loss as to what to do.Do TT do a more powerful 12v usb charging plug or will i have to try using a 3rd party one with a better output.Does anyone know how many MA the tandard charging usb plug gives? I paid £50 and not sure how he has rigged it but should i just bite the bullet and shell out more money for the official hard wired kit? Sorry for so many questions but just want to sort it and put an end to it all.

Thanks everyone and a very merry xmas to you all :-)

Comments

• Jonbhoy1972
    Master Traveler
    Would using the 2.4amp fast charger help resolve the issue as i have just seen that?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Jonbhoy1972

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time
    The exception... Is the high-speed port on the old style Tomtom High speed dual port adapter 1.2 Amp (With Pass-through Power Adapter port)

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time

See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/go-61-brightness-problems-1025607?postid=1177429

ATB YFM
  • Jonbhoy1972
    Master Traveler
    Many thanks for your reply,but just confuses me more as we are using all the genuine items in the box and all thats happening is its not charging just slowing down the unit emptying its charge :-(

PS thats a great post showing all the types.I think i might get the MK2 and see if that solves the issue but i just dont want to buy that then find that doesnt help then buy the direct from the fuse unit as it starts getting expensive trying to solve an issue that really i shouldnt have thought i would have.As i said with the Garmin it went in fine and just copied that set up i believe with the 12v.Is the 12v charging usb plug that comes in the box rated at 1amp output?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,829
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Jonbhoy1972

The standard Tomtom adapter is rated 5v 1.2 Amps
    b894f1f5-4101-4188-ac2d-8a4d8b46de0d.png
    46c2e313-3612-4e75-9149-9456316c530c.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • Jonbhoy1972
    Master Traveler