All Downloadable Maps in French — TomTom Community

All Downloadable Maps in French

Kyle12Kyle12 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
My TomTom Go app on android has an english version of USA/Canada. I am traveling soon and would like to download another map but ALL of my map names are in French. What happened? My App is in English, why aren't the maps? (see attached image)6552b9e4-e16b-4192-8509-7d82fdc3ef6b.jpg

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @Kyle12,

What is you smartphone setup as?

English or French Canadian??

If you want TomTom in English the the smartphone has to be in English.

That also goes for the TTS voices you want to use.
  • Kyle12Kyle12 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi @Asprin624 ,
    My phone is Canadian English. I've been using the app for a few years now and this is the first time the maps show in French. The TomTom voice is also English.
    @Kyle12,

If you switch to UK English and restart you phone does that help?
    Hi @Asprin624 - switching to English UK worked but I'm concerned the effect this will have on other apps. I switched back to English Canada and the maps went back to French. This is definitely a TomTom bug.
    @Kyle12,

If you switch the whole phone to UK English you should have no problems with any of the other app's.

Belgium here there are three languages French, Flemish and Germany.

I keep my smartphone in UK English and never have a problem with any apps.

If I switch the Smartphone to Dutch then Tomtom is in Dutch and I can use the Dutch voices only.
    The same for German and Frence.

I have never run into any problems with TomTom app showing me the wrong language when it comes to downloading maps.

So keeping the whole phone in UK English is you best bet.
    Since this is a new problem, I don't understand why they can't fix it. Displaying French maps in an English mobile system doesn't make sense.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Is only the list of maps in French and not the maps themselves?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,581
    Community Manager
    I will forward this.

What happens if you download the map? The names of cities and streets should still be in English for the US. When I zoom out on my Europe map, Antwerp is in Flemish (Antwerpen), Cork is in French (Liège) and Cologne is in German (Köln) while my app is in English.

90898260-3eff-423e-aadf-215d9103f438.png
    Is that a real problem?

When you drive to these cities that is the name you will see on the signs as you drive in Germany, Belgium Holland.

It is the correct way to spell them in that country. So you are not being mislead to a wrong city.

The same goes for the street names in these countries.

I do not find any problems at all with the spelling of these names of cities and I drive all over Europe.

If you look at the city of Brussel the correct spelling is Brussels. But you enter the name Brussel in on you GPS app you will get to Brussels

See screen shot
    cedb8987-cada-4a58-9a50-d7f386366822.jpg
    The same way with Antwerp
    e8e5599d-8457-4d27-b70a-729c4dc24d89.jpg
    Only the list is in French. Once inside the maps (I used Australie as an example) the roads are in English. This still doesn't explain why the list is in French on an English language phone.
    I understand there is a simple workaround but when you pay for a product, I expect it to work right. Does TomTom monitor this or is their a Bug reporting forum?
    34945a09-135d-4c34-a974-8039b0025312.jpg
  • RalphGRalphG Posts: 33 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have the same issue -- downloadable map names are displayed in French on Canadian phone set to English language.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,581
    Community Manager
    These are incorrectly implemented translations and I have reported this on Friday.