TomTom Go Mobile App will not connect to my cars Ford focus Sync 3 via USB — TomTom Community

TomTom Go Mobile App will not connect to my cars Ford focus Sync 3 via USB

dogdays1dogdays1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have downloaded TomTom Go Mobile onto my Android smartphone but the Ford cars Sync 3 refuses to detect the link when connected via a usb cable.
I know the phone and the cables working as it worked well on the Google drive app.
Amy ideas?.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,394 Moderator
    Hi dogdays1,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, the GO Mobile App doesn't support in-car mirroring feature hence it won't work with Ford SYNC3.

Regards, lampard
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @dogdays1,

You posted this 3 days ago:

And you knew the answer already.....

f5a4bf43-093e-4048-9993-a2699d310c9c.jpg
    Then started a new post.......:nerd:
  • dogdays1dogdays1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Only after speaking with the Ford customer helpline who told me to speak to wretched TOMTOM.
    I did this and it was escalated to engineering support, who so far have not bothered to answer me back.
    Personally it seems to me that TOMTOM have some sort of death wish. I do wonder if TOMTOM provide the nav system which you can buy inbuilt into a new Ford for an extra mere £350 on purchase of a new car.it may be that they are trying to avoid a conflict of interest by competing with themselves. I suspect if so that this is illegal under European Law.
    I have spent £22,000 of my hard earned cash in this car and I expect things to d-mn well work.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @dogdays1,

It is nice you have a new car but you ask the questions about what GPS app's work with Ford SYNC3. That is done before the fact.
    Assuming that TomTom Go will work without asking if it does.
    Then coming here a being upset that it does not work.

This is from their website:

I quote them:

"SYNC 3

Includes all the features as the basic system, plus the following:
    6.5- or 8-inch color touchscreen with easy-to-read text and icons
    Capacitive touch technology requires just a light tap or swiping and pinching for some features with available navigation system

Touchscreen responds with impressive speed
    Enhanced voice recognition
    Five-way controls on the steering wheel"

You ask if not sure what works and what does not work with Ford SYNC3.

That you asked at the dealership.

There is one GPS app that has just added Ford SYNC3 to their GPS app.
    You can test it for free.

• 1979Damian1979Damian Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dogdays1 wrote:
    Only after speaking with the Ford customer helpline who told me to speak to wretched TOMTOM.
    I did this and it was escalated to engineering support, who so far have not bothered to answer me back.
    Personally it seems to me that TOMTOM have some sort of death wish. I do wonder if TOMTOM provide the nav system which you can buy inbuilt into a new Ford for an extra mere £350 on purchase of a new car.it may be that they are trying to avoid a conflict of interest by competing with themselves. I suspect if so that this is illegal under European Law.
    I have spent £22,000 of my hard earned cash in this car and I expect things to d-mn well work.

Having previously work in software development for an EU car manufacturer (not Ford) I can confirm that in my experience car manufacturers have a very different approach to software features/development to pretty much everyone else i.e. phone/tablet manufacturers. As long as their software can perform the basic functions natively they often don't see the need to expand compatibility to 3rd party solutions (they're about 25 years behind the times when it comes to software support) they also tend not to provide release notes when they provide software updates so you never really know what they're fixing/improving etc.

Unlike the issue the Tom Tom mobile app has with PX5 powered head units (where the "issue" is for Tom Tom to resolve as the defect is in their own software), the Ford Sync 3 system isn't an open operating system such as Android or IOS and is locked down to 3rd party apps. 3rd party app support needs to be supported on a per app basis (primarily by the car manufacturer) partly due to the locked down nature of the devices and partly because they often don't follow accepted industry standards so custom coding is sometimes required to make things work.

In terms of the reference to Tom Tom engineering support not getting back to you, it does sound poor but I guess that would depend on how long it's been since your issue was assigned to them.
  • digital3540digital3540 Posts: 57 [Outstanding Explorer]
    You can use Sygic car Navigation with Sync 3, It uses Tomtom Maps and works perfect in your Ford Sync 3