Question

HellletsgoHellletsgo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
edited January 11 in MyDrive Connect
I have a TomTom Trucker 520 and I want to take my favorites and make them poi to clear up the blue star clutter. By doing this, will I still be able to plan a trip using the created poi on my drive and send them to my device?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,621 Superusers
    Hi
    @Hellletsgo
    It looks complicated but it isn't, most of the process steps are for the installation of the programs and set-up and are only required once...
    Then it's simply Drag 'n' Drop of a few files
    Link to Post.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1159989

Important... Tomtom has recently changed the file type from a .txt file to a .gz (Zipped file) The file will need unzipping using something like Z-Zip file Manager before you can drop the file into Notepad ++
    Z-Zip file Manager...https://7-zip.org/

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces... Select a POI Category e.g... National Trust
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall... A Quick Menu opens... Tap on the 3Dot Icon... Add to my places
    Rename the MyPlace or Tap 'Add' to accept the offered Name
    Dudmaston Hall is synced to the MyDrive Web Route planner

On the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Open MyPlaces... Left click on Dudmaston Hall
    The MDW Map zooms into Dudmaston Hall
    Right Click On the blue Dudmaston Hall Icon

If you are starting a new Route you're offered....
    'Use as a Starting point'
    Or
    'Plan a Route'

If the Route is all ready started you're offered....
    'Add a Stop'

I tend ignore the Menu that opens... And simply Left or Right click on the Blue MyPlaces Icons

May need to occasionally edit/tidy the MyPlaces list

ATB YFM
  • HellletsgoHellletsgo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    So if I understand correctly. I can plan a route with my poi on my pc and sent them to my GPS?
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 119 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hellletsgo wrote:
    So if I understand correctly. I can plan a route with my poi on my pc and sent them to my GPS?

Not directly as My Drive (web) cannot use a POI when calculating a destination / routes as you wish to ……. :thinking:

The method that @YamFazMan has described “works for him”; but in practice “not for me” unless I have misunderstood:

As the steps involve:
    1. Convert Favourites to POI’s and separate into categories as required.
    2. Decide on “your device” which POI’s you want to display on the Map - Settings Appearance – Show POI lists on Map - this can reduce the Blue star clutter!

When you want to plot and send the “destination” beforehand to the device from a PC using MyDrive (web):

On “the device” select the POI required and instead of selecting “Drive” tap the 3 dots and select “Add to My Places” - Repeat this step for as many POI’s required

- these will then sync to your PC and then allow you to select the newly created My Place (s) from your PC and plot a destination and send it back to the device.

This does not work for me as I keep “my device ready mounted in the car” and my PC is in the house plus I tend to but not always only drive to one destination at a time.

I can see the benefits of this method if you are planning a multi destination route trip as it is easier to create a route on a PC (MyDrive web) PC and put the destinations in the correct order and then send “the stops” back to the device.

However by converting the POI’s to My Places and following this method you could quickly generate lots of Blue Star clutter and as @YamFazMan says you would periodically need to delete the My Places generated to tidy up the screen.

A good bit of lateral thinking from @YamFazMan to overcome the shortcomings of the current state of play that TomTom has left users in .

As users we all have different requirements whether it is to select a destination from touching the screen on the device or like me to plot a destination using MyDrive on a PC beforehand and send the destination to the device so that I am ready to drive off straightaway……………… :grinning:

I have only been a TomTom user for just over 2 years and in that time have not seen any ‘truly meaningful’ improvements introduced by Tomtom and “bugs” and “anomalies” I noted initially remain unresolved and sadly in fact further bugs / omissions in usability have been introduced and if was not for the superior traffic and other delay information I would have long deserted TomTom .
    Based in UK - Tomtom Go 6200 (random ALG displayed )
    As Jack Nicholson would say: Is this as good as it gets??
    Hi
    @Lost Soul

The reason for my workaround is....
    (1)... To reduce the amount of blue-star screen clutter
    (2)... As far as I'm aware there isn't any Route planners available, that allows you to install your Own or 3rd party POI for you to use when route planning

ATB YFM
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 119 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi @YamFazMan

I can understand the rational as the Blue Star cutter annoys me :persevere: and yes I agree I have not seen any online route planners that allow you to use your own POI's to then send to our devices.

Rather boringly I drive to the same destinations week / month and if I followed your method would very quickly get back to a cluttered map or if I tidied up deleting the generated Blue stars I would be forever converting POI's to Favourites............................... But can see it working for others. So I will have to accept the Blue Star Clutter and keep to my method of using My Places on MyDrive (web) to plot a destination / send it to the device.

The ideal solution is for Tomtom to improve they way they handle My Places / POI's; they have hinted / promised they will be, but being pragmatic I cannot see this occurring in the short or even long term :grinning: as sadly they seem to have lost direction / impetus in providing any "useful" solutions for our PND's which means as users we are left with so many irritating issues.
    Based in UK - Tomtom Go 6200 (random ALG displayed )
    As Jack Nicholson would say: Is this as good as it gets??
    Hi
    @Lost Soul

When using 'MyPlaces menu' you don't have to search down the long list

The MyPlaces list is searchable...
    The MyPlaces appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen

Say in MyPlaces you have...
    Costa Worcester
    Costa Bromsgrove
    Costa Droitwitch
    Costa Bridgnorth

Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    If you Type say 'C' a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen
    Either continue to type 'Costa b' and the Costa Bromsgrove and Costa Bridgnorth outlets will display at the top of the list
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    Or
    Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    Then type say 'C' and a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen continue to type 'Costa
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and a full list of costa outlets will display

PS... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search type say 'T' on the right-hand side of the Search screen will be all of your MyPlaces beginning with 'T'
    But on the left-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your recent destinations beginning with 'T'
    Don't forget to Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list

ATB YFM