Showing time without route guidance - Excitement then Disappointment — TomTom Community

Showing time without route guidance - Excitement then Disappointment

312hooligan312hooligan Posts: 83 [Master Explorer]
edited January 12 in RIDER
I own both Rider 400 and Rider 410. While debating if I should keep throwing money away at TomTom, I watched TomTom Support's YouTube video, "Improving the quality of GPS instructions for RIDER 500/550". I was excited to see that TomTom has finally added the time feature to the Rider outside of Route Guidance (see screenshot highlighted in red below, which is in the Menu screen).
0b0ea934-2087-4d2b-b296-4a6db5957f7b.jpg

This has been a feature I've been asking for:
https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/rider-400-ui-improvements-request-997485 (TomTom deprecated this request and linked to the next one)
https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/rider-ui-improvement-request-1015856

Ever so hopeful, I went and bought the 550. When I got the 550 (18.103.0020.411), I realized that the time is not visible on the map, but at least only in the Menu. I thought I can compromise and live with that, as now when I am riding without route guidance, the time is just a quick tap of the Menu button.

Everything was fine until I decided to update my new 550 to the latest version (18.200.0018.411). Suddenly, the time feature DISAPPEARED! Now the time is not visible in the Menu screen. :tired_face:

Miffed, I decided to look all over for a way to make this time feature visible, thinking it might be a setting. But I found that the time is only visible in one single spot! Quick Settings page from the Menu Screen (by going to the Menu, then clicking the status icons row on the top; not to be confused with the Quick Settings page from the circular slider icon from the Map screen or Menu screen). Not only that, but with both the 410 and 550 at 18.200.0018, only the 550 retained the time in the hidden screen! (Pics below show both 410 and 550 together, respectively.)
368e93e3-f496-4d1d-8906-2bb84a6304e8.jpg
c2d3153a-e603-4d2e-a96e-3fb1fba3613d.jpg

WHY? Why did the time feature get removed? Is there a way for the programmers/engineers to bring it back just like it did when the 550 was at 18.103? Or was that simply a tease to get me all worked up?

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @312hooligan

Try...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu)
    Then 'Tap Here'
    254926ce-1429-4f4b-bc1a-e51ee1998c44.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

have to ask, thats all. thanks.
    400 owner here.

your bike doesn't have a clock ??
    and it's just pushing 2 buttons to get to the time on the tomtom, there are much larger omissions that clearly will never be put back.
  • 312hooligan312hooligan Posts: 83 [Master Explorer]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @312hooligan

Try... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu)
    Then 'Tap Here'
    254926ce-1429-4f4b-bc1a-e51ee1998c44.jpg
    ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan
    You simply illustrated what I already said in my last paragraph of my original post before I attached my pictures: "Quick Settings page from the Menu Screen (by going to the Menu, then clicking the status icons row on the top; not to be confused with the Quick Settings page from the circular slider icon from the Map screen or Menu screen)."

I don't know about you, but in my real world riding experience with the TomTom, for doing a single tap near the edge of the TomTom, unless the road is silky smooth, is not easy. It sometimes registers it as a swipe instead of a tap.

Realistically speaking, I shouldn't have to take my hands off while riding just to get a quick look at the time. Now I have to do 2 taps. That's insane.

Bottom line is that the previous minor version (18.103) had the time showing in the Main menu. That's 1 tap. Why on earth would the engineers take that feature away with 18.200?
    Joel S. wrote:
    why would you own a 400 and a 410 ??
    then if they both function go purchase a 550 ??

have to ask, thats all. thanks.
    400 owner here.

your bike doesn't have a clock ??
    and it's just pushing 2 buttons to get to the time on the tomtom, there are much larger omissions that clearly will never be put back.
    @Joel S.
    My 400 was purchased in the US when a retailer had made a price mistake. The retailer honored it, so I got it for dirt cheap. Back then when the 400 first came out, TomTom's US website mirrored all the listed features as their European website. I was pretty upset that it didn't have the calling button when I got it. TomTom support replied it was disabled in US versions, and I asked that they update the US website to remove the calling feature.

Nearly a year of owning the 400, after a firmware update, it stopped pairing with my phone. That was when the 410 came out, and I was planning a riding trip through Europe. So I bought the European spec 410 with the world map and world cameras (at least it was listed on TomTom's European website, but it actually came with European cameras only). And I noticed the 410 paired with my phone no problem. So that ruled out my phone as the problem, and I opened a support ticket with TomTom, who sent me a new replacement 400. My new 400 is still wrapped up and unregistered today.

Even though the European 410 had the Phone button, it only worked half the time. Using it was a pain. And half the time, I couldn't get the traffic data through my phone's MyDrive app. Every time I go riding, I do the same sequence: Go turn on Android's BT tethering (for some reason it doesn't like to stay enabled), start up MyDrive app, turn on Scala, turn on 410. Even with the same order, half the time it can't get TomTom services in "Connected" state.

Anyway, I got the 550 simply because I saw in their video the time feature, and I needed that. Just kidding... Amazon was doing a sale on the 550 for 25% off, so I snagged it with a credit card that provided Return Protection. If it wasn't worth it, I would simply return it and keep using my 410.

Over the years, every time I get asked in a group ride to find a route to an impromptu waypoint, the sheer slowness of the 410 usually ends up with other riders with CDMA cellular service to look it up via Google, and they got it faster. (Don't ask me why rural areas away from cities are dead zones for GSM providers, but CDMA tends to work well, in the USA.) So the faster processor on the 550 was the biggest draw, in addition to the Google assistant.
  • whyhaveonewhyhaveone Posts: 52 [Legendary Explorer]
    Weird. The time shows in that status screen on my 400.

I notice that my application version is the same - except for the last three numbers: .311

I wonder if it's an American thing?
    whyhaveone wrote:
    Weird. The time shows in that status screen on my 400.

I notice that my application version is the same - except for the last three numbers: .311

I wonder if it's an American thing?
    Maybe so. The release notes page doesn't indicate much. Sometimes it lists the version down to the third set of numbers, and sometimes it lists the version down to the second set of numbers. Not very helpful in understanding changes in firmware.
  • Mark aMark a Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I own a tomtom start 62 how do I display the time when not showing a planned route