Simply, add HUD functionality — TomTom Community

Simply, add HUD functionality

BatreQ72BatreQ72 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have seen topics about it on this forum from about 2yrs ago, but they went silent from what I can see.
Modern cars have it and it proves very beneficial, but not all of us have the latest and greatest but everyone can afford a smartphone with decent screen and a HUD glass contraption/tray to place their phone in. That would be sooooooo SO SOOO awesome if you could add those few lines of code to flip/mirror the image. It can't be that hard to do if other (free) apps can do it? If you also made your own "HUD tray" that would be even better "shut up and take my money" I would say.

Comments

• AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @BatreQ72,

Read here:

The 18th post in this group:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-android-156/hud-mode-in-go-mobile-app-1009266#

Other GPS apps have it but no one is using it.

It is a complete waste of time to add this to any GPS app.
  • BatreQ72BatreQ72 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That is your opinion. I have searched the Internet and there are many people who are using it and there are also some who would like to have it within TT. I have used TT as HUD at night (I travel mostly during the night, less traffic) but having to constantly remember that left is right is annoying. HUD (if implemented correctly) is in my opinion better way than having glaring screen right in your face somewhere to the side. Give me options. You don't have to use it.

PS "no one is using it" do you have any statistics how many people have apps with and not use it? Because from what I have seen many people are interested in such thing, and there are many videos of people using such a thing whether it's a GPS or car monitoring.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I would not hold my breath and wait for TomTom to add HUD.
    There are many other GPS apps out there that have It.
    Try them.

I have tried it and do not like it as I have posted in the link before.
    Having that display in front of me the whole time is to distracting.
    Paying attations to the road at night is more important then having this display in front of me all the time.

Most of the time user's are not look at their GPS. Only when it tells you of the next exit to take or stay to the left when the highway changes. Then you might look at the screen quickly.

But not the whole time you are driving.

With HUD you get this the whole time you are traveling.

Safety first not some display that looks cool like a fighter Jet.

There are items like Hudway that have their own screen for a smartphone to project the image to with out a double image.

But that is just another item to deal with on your dashboard.
    I find having the app switch to night view much better and the phone is not sliding around on the dashboard. It sits in a holder.
  • BatreQ72BatreQ72 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Tried to but TT is (imho) best out there in terms of features and cleanliness of the interface. With the phone in car holder there is one annoying thing. It does not adjust brightness correctly. Because the sensor is usually in shadow of the A pillar and at nigh it is the same when you go from pitch black to street light area it is either to bright or to dimm. Phone sliding can be easily mitigated with those silicone pads.