Do NOT buy the Go5200!

ElDiablo12
ElDiablo12 Registered Users Posts: 14
Master Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I've been a Tomtom user for years, the 750 was fine, brilliant device, never any problems. I then upgraded to this piece of crap Go5200. It takes 10 1/2 hours to update because of Tomtom restricting the download speed (I checked with my ISP after Tomtom blamed them....). I gave this satnav to my daughter and the problems she's had are a joke. Twice she put a postcode in and it took her FIVE miles away, she entered the postcode correctly, Tomtom nowhere near! Another occasion it wanted to direct her down a dirt track, full of pot holes and marked "Unsuitable for motor vehicles" (yes the settings are right on the device). Because some bellend at Tomtom has decided the compass doesn't need to be there anymore, she couldn't get her bearings, it was night, no idea which way to go, the device just kept saying turn round and go down that dirt track.
Also planning a route with 1 or more stops en-route, that's a joke now. Why make something far more complicated and why fix something that isn't broken?! For some reason tomtom got rid of the useful features (why can't you plan for limited speed now on this new piece of shit, you could with the old ones?) and created a complete piece of junk! Luckily my daughter had her phone so was able to get where she was going on several occasions. This Go5200 is DANGEROUS, it takes you down dirt tracks that will damage your car!! DO NOT BUY!!!

Comments

• miketorcy
    miketorcy Posts: 3,558
     Superuser
    Hi. I have a GO6200 for two years and i have no problems with it. You are not lucky, perhaps. I have a good internet connexion and i need less than one hour for update map of europe ( more than 8GB).
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,832
     Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    @El Diablo
    I've been a Tomtom user for years, the 750 was fine, brilliant device, never any problems. I then upgraded to this piece of crap Go5200. It takes 10 1/2 hours to update because of Tomtom restricting the download speed (I checked with my ISP after Tomtom blamed them....)
    Have you tested your connection speed
    Try the 'Which' broadband speed test... for a real World speed check
    Which Speed test
    https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk/

Europe map v10.15 update....
    Here.... I'm using a Win10 PC hardwired to Modem Virgin Media 110 Mb/s
    PC Connects to the Home Wi-Fi at 40 Mb/s
    I have no idea of the speed of the direct Wi-Fi connection for the GO 520

I updated the Full Europe map v10.15 size 8GB +
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) GO 520 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background....
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install

I'm happy with an 8GB+ Map update in 23Mins 24secs (Stopwatch)
    I gave this satnav to my daughter and the problems she's had are a joke. Twice she put a postcode in and it took her FIVE miles away, she entered the postcode correctly, Tomtom nowhere near! Another occasion it wanted to direct her down a dirt track, full of pot holes and marked "Unsuitable for motor vehicles" (yes the settings are right on the device
    Check if the the Step by Step search mode has been selected... If 'Yes'
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> Choose a search mode... Select the far superior 'Quick search' option
    when searching for Postcodes the Step by Step search mode can be a pain
    See... https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/ask-a-question-469/post-codes-1040943/index1.html#post1240032

Would it be possible to post the postcode here, so we can check it out maybe see what's going wrong... 5 miles seems a big error
    Tomtom has decided the compass doesn't need to be there any more, she couldn't get her bearings, it was night, no idea which way to go, the device just kept saying turn round and go down that dirt track
    It’s not a Compass as such, It's a Direction of travel indicator
    When you are driving the small Arrow head chevron, above the plus and minus signs
    points to your Direction of travel

4f72e343-d4ff-41ab-8477-89d58591bfe4.png
    If you imagine you are looking at a Paper Map of the World and your located in the UK
    [h3]The North-Pole....[/h3]Is at the top & the arrow points Up....................... You're heading North
    [h3]The South-Pole....[/h3]Is at the bottom & the arrow points Down.......... You're heading South
    [h3]Canada....[/h3]Is on the Left (West) & the arrow points Left...... You're heading West
    [h3]China....[/h3]Is on the Right (East) & the arrow points Right... You're heading East
    And obviously, all points of the compass in between, as in the example
    [h3]Greenland....[/h3]Is halfway between Up and Left & the arrow points 45 degrees between Up/Left
    The arrow is pointing 45 degrees Up/Left............ You're heading North West

dfeb18eb-f5c3-47ca-9c3a-ed8aee859f06.jpg

ATB YFM
  • ElDiablo12
    ElDiablo12 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Master Traveler
    Yesterday I found yet another postcode error with TomTom. I got rid of the Go5200, I've now got Sony XAV602BT with the satnav add on, it was in the car when I bought it.
    I have had this a few times before but yesterday the error took me almost TEN MILES AWAY!!! I put in navigate to address NN7 4DD, Northampton (UK). This TomTom took me to the middle of nowhere, edge of a field on some A road. I got my phone out, typed in NN7 4DD and it was 9.8 miles away! WTF TomTom?! NEVER trust TomTom!
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,832
     Superuser
    edited March 2019
    Hi
    El Diablo

You should have kept the GO 5200 ;)

My GO 6200... NN74DD
    cacn8p5ycobz.jpg
    Google Maps... NN74DD
    More like Ten's of Yards than Ten Miles

Click on image to enlarge....