Live traffic updates

JabboJabbo Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
Here in the DC area by the time I get solid green light indicating that live traffic is updated I'm beyond the area where I could have used the info and almost at work. So let's say I have to go north for 15 minutes before the unit updates. This only happens during the morning commute, not the evening commute. This has been going on for about 2-3 weeks now so I surmise that whomever broadcasts RDS-TMC data near my home has changed but I can't find out what stations transmit the signal or I would manually tune to it. Although I'm using an older xxl it still works and updates. This unit has saved me countless hours in traffic so I'm reluctant to replace it and it still works great when it gets a good signal. Anyone else having this problem? This has happened before and things returned to normal eventually; I just can't remember how long that took.

Comments

• JabboJabbo Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks YamFazMan. I'm definitely RDS because it uses FM. I'd seen that page earlier but I don't see any stations listed. I'll see if I can force it to search for another station.
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,890 [Superusers]
    There is also this @Jabbo

http://www.ttwnetwork.com/index.php/solutions/2013-04-02-15-39-16/coverageareas/185-washington-d-c

Doesn't appear to list a station either. Maybe support can help:

:flag_us: United States
    877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST

BUT...........when you call, do NOT provide a model when prompted in order for a live agent to reply.
    Thanks guys. The maps show that there is plenty of coverage in my area and I've gotten decent reception for live traffic for years. I believe that whatever station I used to previously get the data from has changed because the unit works fine and acquires traffic quickly for my return trip, plus I get the half green circle on the way home. I don't think that I can do anything about this but wait for someone to beam strong signals in my area. In such a populous area this is ridiculous. I don't think that you can manually tune a XXL device. It's time to find a GPS that doesn't rely on FM stations or use the cellphone for navigation. Sigh!
    Thanks YFM. I think I've seen about every document available for this issue including the one you sent. I wish I had the option to tune RDS-TMC but I don't. I just went outside and tried the unit here at the office and of course it works fine and acquires traffic quickly. Still no reception 20 miles south of Washington, DC though and that's a show stopper. I've had this device for several years now and it has more than paid for itself. I'll give it a few more tries to see if the broadcast returns.
    I stand corrected, I found the manual tune setting and I've tried a couple of stations close to home without success. If only I knew what stations carried the broadcast...

Anyone know how TomTom acquires RDS? Does it just scan low freq to high? How long does it take to cover the dial?
    I think I may have found my problem but I won't know for sure until I commute a few mornings. I think that the FM transmitter I bought to send bluetooth to my car's audio system weakens my RDS FM traffic signal just enough to kill reception during my morning commute. When coming home today I started out with a full green circle but it was a half circle when I was 7-8 miles from the house, I unplugged the transmitter and got a full circle soon thereafter. We'll see.
    Well I'm closing this post because I'm almost 100% positive that my FM Bluetooth transmitter was causing my problem. Since the transmitter allows me to change frequencies I'll see if I can find a channel that doesn't interfere. I'm just happy that my Tomtom is working normally and I was able to pinpoint the problem. Thanks for your thoughts and input.