GO 510 navigation logic — TomTom Community

GO 510 navigation logic

My 510 shows distance to unnecessary intersections.
When the next turn is preceded by distance indicated to an unnecessary intersection, sometimes 50-100m, this results in insufficient time/distance to get into the correct lane for the turn. All that is needed is the distance to the next turn as the xxl and other older models did. I have reverted to using the older model and reluctant to look at newer model Tom Toms in case they all have this undesirable feature.
I am surprised that other users have not reported this as the feature does not enable timely lane positioning, one of the absolute essentials of safe and courteous driving.

Comments

• ElDiablo12ElDiablo12 Posts: 14 [Master Traveler]
    Exactly the same as the Go5200. Stick with the older models, the new ones are shite!! Go5200 does the same, for example it says 'keep right in 1 mile' and when you get there it's nothing, not even a junction, just a turn-off off the major road I was staying on anyway.
  • forumpondplanesforumpondplanes Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    El Diablo wrote:
    Exactly the same as the Go5200. Stick with the older models, the new ones are shite!! Go5200 does the same, for example it says 'keep right in 1 mile' and when you get there it's nothing, not even a junction, just a turn-off off the major road I was staying on anyway.
    Thanks for the confirmation, there's always the possibility of 'operator error', I could have possibly not set it up correctly. It absolutely beats me as to how Tom Tom designed this feature or perhaps are unaware of it. I wrote to them several years ago about this defect. By now I would have thought they'd fix it. Perhaps they don't read the forum?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,832 Superusers
    Hi
    @forumpondplanes
    El Diablo wrote:
    Exactly the same as the Go5200. Stick with the older models, the new ones are ***** Go5200 does the same, for example it says 'keep right in 1 mile' and when you get there it's nothing, not even a junction, just a turn-off off the major road I was staying on anyway.
    I must admit when we first started using Tomtom devices the "In one mile Keep Right" instruction had us changing lanes, but after a couple of journeys we realized it was 'Tomtom speak' and in reality it means "In one mile keep straight-on don't turn left"
    Once we has sussed the real meaning, we found it useful, but now we just keep in lane and go straight-on

There is a option in the Setting Menu....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voices... Read allowed early instructions
    I have not tried turning this setting option OFF... Maybe it will fix the problem ???

ATB YFM
    Thank you for your interest. I tried the voice instructions in their various permutations and find that with the current defect they are distracting and in fact useless. The 'straight on' does not help. Certainly it says "straight on", but if the distance to the next turn following the 'straight on' is very short then there is no time to get into the correct lane.
    My complaint may not have been explained as well as it could have been. I'll try again.
    All too frequently when the need to turn right or left from the current road is required, the distance to run to that turn appears too late. This prevents timely maneuvering into the correct lane for that turn.
    For example the instructions can show distance to run (straight ahead) to an irrelevant intersection /roundabout etc which is immediately followed by the needed turn.
    My complaint is that the distance between the irrelevant intersection/roundabout etc and the required turn can be as little as 50 to 100m. This is a ridiculous state of affairs as it gives no time to get into the needed lane for the turn.
    All that is needed, and I think this needs repeating, all that is needed when on one road leading to a departure from it by a turn is the distance to run that turn.
    Hi
    @forumpondplanes

I've edited my post for more clarity....
    YamFazMan wrote:
    I must admit when we first started using Tomtom devices the "In one mile Keep Right" instruction had us changing lanes, but after a couple of journeys we realized it was 'Tomtom speak' and in reality it means "In one mile keep straight-on don't turn left"
    Once we has sussed the real meaning, we found it useful, but now we just keep in lane and go straight-on

ALWAYS use a Computer voice the Computer TTS Voices have a more comprehensive command set... I would NEVER use a recorded voice

I haven't experienced the problems you have related to, I always get at least 800yards (Often more) warning before a junction, traffic Island or change of direction, unless of course if the distance between the changes of direction is physically is less than 800 yards

The only time I think the warning time is wholly inadequate is for Green Alternate route by steering... When an Alternate route is found, a Green Blob with the time saved appears on the Route Bar (It's really easy to miss)
    Then at xxx yards before the Green Alternate route, the device gives a quick 'Dong' 'Dong' warning (In my opinion far too late to be able to change lanes etc...) at this point you are supposed to steer on to the new Green Route
    If you ignore the Green Route the device will continue along the original route
    If you follow the Green Route the driving instructions will switch to the new Green Route

See... Green Alternate route by steering...
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/need-more-guidance-tomtom-traffic-connectivity-go-500-1030030#post1198196

ATB YFM
    The 'voice' is no use if it follows the useless logic by saying "keep straight on" then suddenly "turn right (or left) with insufficient distance to accomplish lane change. This is what happens on my 510.
    The question I still have is why are we given measurements to irrelevant junctions/intersections/roundabouts which prevent the ONLY information we need, that is, how far to the next turn.
    One can easily see the straight ahead route drawn on the map, there is no need to the distance shown to this.
    Put simply, the 510 does not give sufficient time or distance to the next turn.
    I wonder if the person who formulated the logic actually is a driver?
    Hi

Here in the UK I'm not having problems with late warnings I find the spoken driving instructions give more than adequate advanced warning of junctions, intersections and roundabouts

ATB YFM
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 531 [Exalted Navigator]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi

Here in the UK I'm not having problems with late warnings I find the spoken driving instructions give more than adequate advanced warning of junctions, intersections and roundabouts

ATB YFM
    I find this to be generally true, but I think that there perhaps ought to be a bit more warning on some busy motorway intersections (800 yards is not really enough warning to change to the correct lane in those circumstances). Also, I tend to give more weight to the visual instructions rather than the spoken instructions as the latter are not always very accurate.
    Hi

On Motorways I get an initial warning around a Mile or more, then another around 800yards or more before the Slip-road

ATB YFM
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,673 Superuser
    @BrianE

Which 'voice' are you using to give you instructions? For the best results in the UK it should be either "Serena" or "Malcolm".
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 531 [Exalted Navigator]
    I'm using "Serena." I'll recheck the distances next time I'm taking the M42 off the M5.
  • Jay100Jay100 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Voice command "Go straight on" is very misleading. If I have to turn left at 100 metres, Go 520 says "Go straight on" and then 50 metres before the left turn it says "Turn left". How can I make a lane change in a multilane high speed traffic in a short time?

Why can't Go 520 simply say "Turn left in 100 metres" or something like that???
    Hi
    @Jay100

Can you give an actual example of that, there must be a cross road involved ???

ATB YFM
  • Jay100Jay100 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    @Jay100

Can you give an actual example of that, there must be a cross road involved ???

ATB YFM
    d6bfe277-fe54-4bda-868d-2e3b8bd4c5f7.jpg

This example is in Woden, ACT, Australia. While going south on Yamba drive, I need to turn left in to Numeralla street. Just ~100m before the left turn TomTom says "Go straight on" and then ~50m before it says "Turn left". Yes, there is Colbeck street turning right but who cares! The clear procedure is to give just one instruction "Turn left" ~100m before Numeralla street.

When we go on a road straight there are several left and right side roads, TomTom does not say "Go straight on" every time we pass a side road which is good. Saying "Go straight on" metres before a planned turn is misleading.