GO 5200 Useless in USA

Ade TandAde Tand Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Purchased on the advice that all the feature would work in the USA. However all I got was basic navigation which was hit and miss at the best of times.

Was not able to plan routes on phone and send to device, live traffic didn't not work.

Cant help be be ripped off and mislead.

Ended up using google maps which if free. live traffic and more accurate than TomTom.

This is the last time I ever by a tomtom product

Comments

  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 608 Superuser
    Well the person you should be complaining to is whoever gave you that advice, not TomTom.

    It's like complaining to Volkswagen because someone told you if you bought a Golf it could fly.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 608 Superuser
    (although that said, despite the Go 5200 not being made for the US market, you may still be able to connect it to your phone's data connection for traffic services with Bluetooth)
  • Ade TandAde Tand Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dmulv wrote:
    (although that said, despite the Go 5200 not being made for the US market, you may still be able to connect it to your phone's data connection for traffic services with Bluetooth)
    Tried all of that and none of it worked, just would not connect. and yes all data services were working on my phone in the USA
    dmulv wrote:
    Well the person you should be complaining to is whoever gave you that advice, not TomTom.

    It's like complaining to Volkswagen because someone told you if you bought a Golf it could fly.

    Somebody wearing a TomTom shirt claiming to be a sales rep gave me the information. weather TomTom do this in store I have no idea??
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 608 Superuser
    Ade Tand wrote:
    dmulv wrote:
    (although that said, despite the Go 5200 not being made for the US market, you may still be able to connect it to your phone's data connection for traffic services with Bluetooth)
    Tried all of that and none of it worked, just would not connect. and yes all data services were working on my phone in the USA
    Have you updated the device to the latest firmware release? It's only on the recent versions that Bluetooth data tethering has been added for the Go 5200.
    dmulv wrote:
    Well the person you should be complaining to is whoever gave you that advice, not TomTom.

    It's like complaining to Volkswagen because someone told you if you bought a Golf it could fly.
    Somebody wearing a TomTom shirt claiming to be a sales rep gave me the information. weather TomTom do this in store I have no idea??
    ...in which case I'd be going straight back to them demanding a full refund (assuming that's a possibility).

    The fact that the 5200 cannot operate in the US is basic stuff (for the seller that is... that's no criticism of you), and it's nowhere to be seen on TomTom's US product pages. You'd also have unnecessarily paid extra for the 5200 over the otherwise identical 520 for services you can't use.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,091 Superusers
    I have a GO6200 sols and bought in France and the tomtom staff tell me that i can't have traffic in USA with a smartphone link. It is not technical , only commercial restriction.
    GO6200
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online62

Bembo
Bembo
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
KeithRed
KeithRed
Mark_22
Mark_22
+58 Guests