OBSOLETE OFFER...

blogbert
blogbert Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 2019 in Devices using TomTom HOME
Just logged in to update my XXL 540 and was told it's obsolute and "could be the perfect time to upgrade!" great... and the fantastic obsolute booby price offer.... a Go 6200 for JUST £240, a 30% discount from £340. So I go and check on Amazon where I can buy it for £290 including their discount. So, a £50 saving... surely if TomTom make a product with lifetime maps obsolute, then they should replace the unit FREE OF CHARGE? Has anyone else come across this dubious offer of compensation....?

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,814
    Superuser
    H
    @blogbert

Tomtoms Lifetime Maps T&Cs... Have never meant 'Your Lifetime'
    [h3]See... What are Lifetime Services?[/h3]https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/name/Lifetime/page/4

Surely £240 is still a better deal than £290 ???

ATB YFM
  • blogbert
    Apprentice Traveler
    So I buy an expensive piece of tec only to have it go obsolete after a few years. If anything, £50 for the new unit would be a fair price and fair compensation considering all ... nevertheless, I'm still left out of pocket but with a lovely colorful paperweight.

Not impressed. At £240, TomTom are still more than covering the cost of the replacement unit. I would go as far to say that this is just another income stream strategy for them.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @blogbert

My iPhone3, iPhone4 and iPad3 are more or less dead in the water as pieces of useful technology, my iPhone5 is going that way (I'm Running iOS 10 I Can't install iOS11) Many Apps are now demanding iOS11
    I don't see Apple giving me freebie Upgrades to new models ???

ATB YFM
  • blogbert
    Apprentice Traveler
    That's fascinating but hardly the point. I bought this kit with the supposed guarantee and security of lifetime updates... updates that I cannot now access because their piece of **it doesn't have capacity or the platform capable of running them. So, the original sales promise/contract has been broken. Wouldn't it have been a good idea on their part to provide an alternative (maybe not so whizz-bang) for these older units?

I don't every remember seeing iPhone making any such promises. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @blogbert
    blogbert wrote:
    I bought this kit with the supposed guarantee and security of lifetime updates...
    Lifetime Maps have never been your Natural Life, you just made an assumption and didn't read the T&Cs

Tomtom EOL (End of Life)
    Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any Existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

[h3]If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions[/h3][h3]Call Tomtom Support...[/h3]
    :flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

When calling....
    Tomtom are monitoring Eol support by an Auto Response Phone System
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information... Wait for a live agent to respond

Bye YFM