GO 5200 traffic via build in SIM card not working

2»

Comments

• scjepsenscjepsen Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @scjepsen

Could you just try something please and let me know if it makes a difference.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Bluetooth
    Tap the paired Phone
    In the options at the bottom I assume you have all three Options selected as ON. including Data selected as ON.. Could you turn the Data Option OFF and the see, if you go outside, if the Traffic Data icon is Bold when you Tap Menu and Turn the unit on. This is to test if the Turning on of the Data in Bluetooth Overides the inbuilt Sim.

Doug

Just tried this, and no joy. The BlueTooth settings made no difference
    Hi @scjepsen

One other thing. One one occasion I had a problem with Traffic via the Inbuilt Sim on my GO 6200 based unit when there was a problem at Tomtom's end. I was in a major traffic Jam caused by Road works, lots travelling home from work and a Premier League Football match due to start within 2 hours. I have a Mifi, it should also work if you have a Hotspot facility on your phone. I logged into the Mifi via the Wifi facility on the GO 6200, I could have tried a Phone Hotspot, and picked up Traffic immediately. So the ability to connect via Bluetooth and Wifi is a backup option if the Inbuilt sim is not functioning for any reason. Got me out of a lot of trouble. The inbuilt sim was working perfectly the next day when I needed it.

Doug

I have no problems when connecting the device to the phone via the MyDrive app, or if making a Wifi-hotspot.

Thing is; when travelling this mean dataroaming and I was under the impression that the onboard SIM would / should handle that, to avoid the costs of roaming.

Well Guess not. :-)

Thanks again !
    scjepsen wrote: »
    Hi @scjepsen

One other thing. One one occasion I had a problem with Traffic via the Inbuilt Sim on my GO 6200 based unit when there was a problem at Tomtom's end. I was in a major traffic Jam caused by Road works, lots travelling home from work and a Premier League Football match due to start within 2 hours. I have a Mifi, it should also work if you have a Hotspot facility on your phone. I logged into the Mifi via the Wifi facility on the GO 6200, I could have tried a Phone Hotspot, and picked up Traffic immediately. So the ability to connect via Bluetooth and Wifi is a backup option if the Inbuilt sim is not functioning for any reason. Got me out of a lot of trouble. The inbuilt sim was working perfectly the next day when I needed it.

Doug

I have no problems when connecting the device to the phone via the MyDrive app, or if making a Wifi-hotspot.

Thing is; when travelling this mean dataroaming and I was under the impression that the onboard SIM would / should handle that, to avoid the costs of roaming.

Well Guess not. :-)

Thanks again !

Well. That was too fast.

Can't pair the phone via BlueTooth, and hold the pairing. When starting the MyDrive app, the app insists on making a new pairing with the device. And the phone can't 'see' the device again after pairing.

I think this item need a replacement.

Thanks Doug for all your help :)

...and TomTom Support: Thanks for nothing !! :s
  • ArtychokeArtychoke Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited June 6
    My 5200 WiFi GPRS status has been disconnected for weeks now. Going round in circles with TomTom customer services both verbally and by email. They have a major issues with there satnavs that there not admitting too. There sim satnavs clearly do not connect to the network. I have reset countless times and have been waiting for an answer for days but keep getting fobbed off..waste of money, should have kept my Garmin.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,815 Superuser
    Hi @artychoke.

If I was in your position I would do a factory Reset.

Fully charge the GO5200 for about 2 hours then:-

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

This will delete all your data and return the unit to out the box except you will not affect the current Maps or version of the Operating Software on the device.

All the My Places and any poi and Route files you have loaded via My Drive will be deleted. However if you log into your account on the My Drive website you should see all your MyPlaces backed up there and the Poi and Route files you have loaded via My Drive.

When you have completed the Factory Reset and entered language and all your Account Details etc take the unit outside away from your Wifi source, Buildings, Trees and it has a clear view of the sky. It is a good idea to skip entering the Wifi details at this point and enter them later.

Now do a Soft Reset ie Hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the drumroll sound and immediately let the button go. When the unit has restarted create a route and select Drive and Lets Go and then leave in the same spot for as much as 30 minutes to see if it locks onto the sats.

All your Data will be resynced back to the unit via the Sim if you are not connected to the Wifi but once you enter the Wifi details and it locks no to it they will resync quicker.

Hope this helps as it has done to a few others recently.

Doug
  • kl2024kl2024 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi,

I've been having the same problem with my GO 5200 for months.

I've just done what was suggested above by DougLap, unfortunately it's still showing as "Traffic - unavailable".

Traffic subscription is showing as "Activated"
    GPRS Status is "Connected"

This is all very frustrating as the traffic function was the principal reason for buying the 5200.

Any more help or better still some resolution to the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cal
  • CLAUDIU77CLAUDIU77 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have the same problem. Satnav cannot establish gprs connection.
    Sometimes after restart Gprs connect and works for few minutes and after loosing connection again All day. Only via wifi I can see traffic. In last weeks give me this problems.
    I'm truck driver on all Europe and is days when I cross 3-4 countries. Until now was super nice.. Now have this Big Big problem
    TOMTOM What's happening???? GO6250