Icon "greyed out"

I realise my unit is no longer supported, but still gets me from A to B without problems. But, My very trusty GO 700 has decided to "grey-out" the "my location" facility.
I've often used this in the past.
I recently had a passenger & was extolling the virtues of my ancient TomTom. Then I went to show how I can save my exact location by tapping the relevant icon, that's when I realised it was greyed out. I have tried a factory re-set, but to no avail.

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• trooper1943trooper1943 Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for the reply, but what is EOL? & why should the icon suddenly disappear? Is there any way to get it back?

EOL connected???
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,158 [Superusers]
    Hi
    @trooper1943

Try workaround by dhn,,,
    dhn wrote:
    Here is a workaround to get back to a version of Home that retains the old functionality:

1) Uninstall TomTom Home 2) Download last "good" version from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe 3) Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes 4) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows) or C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows) and find application.ini file 5) Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.94.450" 6) Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.9.94.450 and therefore not pull the update.
    Edit...
    Important... the version number used in the example may/will change over time
    Substitute the version number in the example with latest version number
    Maybe future proof it, use something like Version=2.99.99.999

ATB YFM
    For a guy that'll never see 75 again, (ie 1943) with respect, that is soooo much gobbledegook. :rolling_eyes:

Apart from getting it back, which appears to be beyond me, why/how can it just become greyed out? What control does TomTom have over my device when I'm not connected to TomTom Home etc.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 291 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Apart from getting it back, which appears to be beyond me, why/how can it just become greyed out? What control does TomTom have over my device when I'm not connected to TomTom Home etc.

NONE WHATSOEVER! Your problem is nothing to do with TTHome because this is just manifesting itself when you're driving along so (with respect to the previous posters) ignore all references to End-of-life/TTHome etc.
    May I suggest a couple of things to try, firstly, I'm assuming you DO have a GPS fix, try either holding the power button down until you hear the drum roll & then release it (a soft reset) or "Factory Reset" (which is one of the menu icons on your device) or connect your device to the PC, cut/paste your mapsettings.cfg file from the internal memory to the PC and see if that helps. Let us know how you get on as these good old clunkers are worth keeping going if possible (like us oldies)

If all else fails then you need to reload the correct/current navcore (application/software) from here http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_7.903.9183.go700.cab

or get someone else to help if you're not computer savvy?
    Thanks for all the input, but I'm sorry to say it's "humble pie" time. Even though I have used the "my location" facility before, it's quite some time ago. So I need to admit it was a very senior moment. I was omitting to "add to favourites" first. What a plonker.
    Sorry guys, but honesty, by owning up, is the best policy.

Cheers.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 291 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Doh! As you say it was just a senior moment (which we all get nowadays!):wink:
    At least you're a happy old man again & can continue to extol the virtues of one of the all time best TT's which certainly can't be said of the newer generations for sure! :smiling_imp: