No further support for the Urban Rider!!1 — TomTom Community

No further support for the Urban Rider!!1

nickiboynickiboy Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 23 in RIDER
Thank you, but I am looking for something to be fitted to the motorcycle.
I am not happy at having the up-dates for my "Rider" being stopped, as it has been a trusty old system, despite not having enough memory, this will probably mean that I will have to change the mounting and the expensive blue-tooth adapter I purchased as well!!
I am now a pensioner so cannot afford to purchase a new one.
Typical throw-away society, I will now have to dispose of it, so much for saving the environment!
I am NOT a "Happy Teddy".
I`ve said my piece and you`re probably thinking "Moaning ol` git"
I look forward to your reply.
Kind regards,
Nick Simmonds.

Comments

• [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    nickiboy wrote:
    What is the question?
  • nickiboynickiboy Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you, but I am looking for something to be fitted to the motorcycle.
    I am not happy at having the up-dates for my "Rider" being stopped, as it has been a trusty old system, despite not having enough memory, this will probably mean that I will have to change the mounting and the expensive blue-tooth adapter I purchased as well!!
    I am now a pensioner so cannot afford to purchase a new one.
    Typical throw-away society, I will now have to dispose of it, so much for saving the environment!
    I am NOT a "Happy Teddy".
    I`ve said my piece and you`re probably thinking "Moaning ol` git"
    Kind regards,
    Nick Simmonds.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Dear Nick, every technological product has a relatively lifetime especially when software and services are involved usually because it’s evolving and changes continuously and other corporate reasons... We can’t do anything about it. You’ve to accept it.

I don’t like it either. I have invest a lot of money in software and hardware and suddenly it’s abandoned. Sometimes I’ve to repay for a replacement, an alternative solution, sometimes I’ve to compromise... That’s life...

I believe you may keep using your Urban Rider as long as it operates. The map updates aren’t always so necessary when there is no or minor changes to the road network.

And there are cheap or even “free” alternatives. There are a lot of smartphone navigational apps that may serve you well enough.

Most probably you don’t have to replace your Bluetooth adapter. It must be fine with any future navigational device or smartphone that supports Bluetooth HFP profile.
  • jvahekjvahek Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The question is:
    Why TomTom did not openly and honestly inform that now there's last opportunity to buy the latest map?

I certainly would have purchased 5 zone map of Europe the one last time and managed with it for several riding seasons to come. For sure one zone at the time fits into the 2 gig memory as before!
    I do agree that technology becomes out-dated, would`ve been nice to have been informed earlier!
    The problem I shall face is that I doubt very much if I could use the RAM mount fitted to the Bike, my K1200LT, as I have integrated the mount where the bike computer should be mounted had I got the top of the range model.
    Yes the Bluetooth will work with another sat-nav, once it is paired, but then I very much doubt if the power supply will plug into the new mount, I could be wrong, which means I would then have to remove the upper fairings to fit the device.
    I have the car mount adapter as wellf7615709-c038-47d8-9194-96f5e249271f.jpgb61ec46b-5acf-4fb8-9e26-68bac6360aec.jpg, but I suppose I shall have to replace that too!
    What replacement would anyone recommend?
    It would be nice if Tom-Tom made one to fit my existing mountings, or even do a part-ex!
    Now there`s a thought!
    Hmm.
    Just looked at the Rider 550, may be able to do some fettling without stripping the fairings off if I got one.
    Still a lot of dosh to fork out for a pensioner at 64!
    Cheapest I can find new is £332, but then another £45 ish for the car mount.
    Gonna have to put some money away somehow.:worried: