Potential Fraud — TomTom Community

Potential Fraud

BigJR10BigJR10 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
I recently tried updating maps from the web site (not sure if genuine). Very quickly I developed a problem and got a help message from what I thought was TomTom and would ring back in ten mins. Told they needed access to my computer which I allowed (with some suspicion) Briefly they told me I had 2600 viruses from 15 foreign addresses. This they could resolve and also provide ongoing protection and support for 3yrs @ 150£ +vat. Like a fool all be it suspicious I went ahead. I only completed direct debit forms afterwards and they said it carried full DD guarantees etc. After allowing them to go thro the process and still being suspicious I contacted my usual Mr Fixit who said it was most likely a scam. Very worried I took evasive action with Banks etc to make my account secure. I was also able to cancel the DD with the sender and Bank, I had my computer scanned and checked for security which was upgraded to a top end provider. Up to now no fraud has ocured or money lost after regular telephone checks and online checks after security upgrade. Not heard any feedback from GPSMapEXPERT regarding cancelling etc. Beware of this or similar sounding company names - I thought I was quite security Savy too !!!!

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,333
    Superusers
    You couldn't have been that security savy to fall for such an obvious scam. Hope things do work out for the best for you, though.
  • BigJR10BigJR10 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Yes that's true and feel the fool now though I was suspicious all the time. My problem I think started with not checking the authenticity of the web site I logged into. I was savy enough to secure my bank account and have a full and proper scan of my computer before using it again. I also upgraded the security.
  • Jan.Jan. Posts: 113 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    @BigJR10

It shows karakter to post it here. Respect.
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I hope you've learned your lesson BigJR10. If something seems suspicious, you should trust your instincts and not proceed with it. Never EVER respond to cold calls or allow anyone to take over your computer unless you know for sure it's genuine. Scammers, tricksters, fraudsters, whatever you want to call them are constantly trying to trick us out of our hard-earned money and they are so despicable, they will deliberately target the vulnerable, such as the elderly. I'm pretty sure my own mother lost thousands of pounds to the senders of the deluge of junk post she received after she started suffering from Alzheimers. It's sad but true that you have to treat everyone with caution until you know better, especially anyone offering services or asking for money.
    Hi BrianE yes a lesson learned hopefully not to be repeated.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,860
    Superuser
    @BigJR10

Pity you cannot give use the URL of where you got scammed, but I bet while they were controlling you computer the surreptitiously deleted your browsing history :(

But maybe they were not so savvy, so have a look at your browsing (ctrl H) and post the location using the "code" option from the ... list below

Respect for posting your experience and warning others
    Thanks Niall I'll have a look and update if found.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,733
    Superusers
    Hi
    @BigJR10

All credit for posting your experience to warn others... Be really careful going forward you may have been added to whats known as a 'Suckers List' where what ever details they managed get from your attempted scam is sold on to other scammers

ATB YFM
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    BigJR10 wrote:
    Hi BrianE yes a lesson learned hopefully not to be repeated.
    One other thing worth doing and it won't cost you a penny is to add the WOT (Web of Trust) add-on to your browser. It will provide you with visual trust ratings for most web sites, based on users' experiences and can be used in addition to any similar add-ons provided by your internet security software. If you try to visit a website with a dodgy reputation, the add-on will block the attempt and pop-up a big red warning, advising you against visiting the website. You can still choose to visit the website if you wish, or read comments from other users' experiences.