Fitness age — TomTom Community

Fitness age

Fred250Fred250 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
How does the Tom Tom watch measure Fitness Age? I am aerobically fitter and stronger than many fit people 20 years younger than I. Most people of any age cannot keep up on a bike or row over an extended period at anywhere close to my my split-time, yet according to Tom Tom I am less fit than 80% of men my age!! Am I just associating with the least fit people in the world?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,621
    Superusers
    Fred250 wrote:
    How does the Tom Tom watch measure Fitness Age? I am aerobically fitter and stronger than many fit people 20 years younger than I. Most people of any age cannot keep up on a bike or row over an extended period at anywhere close to my my split-time, yet according to Tom Tom I am less fit than 80% of men my age!! Am I just associating with the least fit people in the world?
    I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Fred250Fred250 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:

I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

Completely agree that I don't need the watch to measure my own fitness, I suppose I just wanted to understand why they'd bother adding a feature that is so meaningless!