My Drive Map Updates - faulty software, absolute wrong approach — TomTom Community

My Drive Map Updates - faulty software, absolute wrong approach

MarcAmsterdamMarcAmsterdam Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
I have been trying to update my via62 to no avail. Tried already 5 times now. Unfortunately This software and the way update maps is so buggy that it doesn't work.

Given the years (7+ years) of complaints about this, on these forums, my perception is that TomTom Board actually doesn't care at all.

What I would like to do is download the updates, without the tomtom attached. Be able to stop and continue with downloading the update. and then once it is on my laptop I want to upload these updates to my tomtom. This last step then should be doable without a internet connection.

Basically whats already available on tons of other devices and cloud services.

Does TomTom Board actually care of providing a solution?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,309
    Superusers
    Support:

:flag_nl: Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1022
    Maandag t/m vrijdag : 09:00 tot 17:30
  • MarcAmsterdamMarcAmsterdam Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    what is the relevance of adding the customer contact number to this post dhn?

My question is not how to solve this issue.

My question is whether the TomTom Board of Directors actually cares about providing a great customer experience with their product. Given that the issue of "slow map updates" is around more then 5 years I understand they don't care.

See the following:
    " Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi said they had closed a partnership with Google, which will supply new infotainment systems for their vehicles, including services such as Google Assistant and Google Maps.
    TomTom could not immediately be reached for comment."
    https://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2018-09-18/tomtom-shares-crash-as-carmakers-opt-for-google-maps

Even Mister Goddijn understands the experience is very bad. At the same time he and the board doesn't seem to have a simple clue how to answer this:

TomTom CEO: user experience, not price, behind customer defections
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tomtom-results-ceo/tomtom-ceo-user-experience-not-price-behind-customer-defections-idUSKCN1MQ1WJ
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,452
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MarcAmsterdam

Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Using Revo scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not a Shutdown/Start-up)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect
    What I would like to do is download the updates, without the tomtom attached. Be able to stop and continue with downloading the update. and then once it is on my laptop I want to upload these updates to my tomtom. This last step then should be doable without a internet connection.

Check the Setting Menu in MyDrive Connect....
    I recommend you empty the Download folder after before setting the Auto Download Times and empty the Download folder after you have updated the device

e509fbfd-5fb0-41dc-8676-c0ed45e825b2.png
    ATB YFM
  • MarcAmsterdamMarcAmsterdam Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you @YamFazMan

What's incredible crappy about TomTom's software is that I am working on a NEW laptop. brandnew out of the box.

So the workaround is to completely uninstall software that I installed a couple of days ago. Also it's not clear why I should clear my browser cache. I am not using a browser to download the update. So please explain.

The exact instruction in the email stated btw to not have the auto downloads during the night on. Instead, they should be off.

So frankly, I am not going to follow your steps. I have a 1 week old pc. with a fresh installation of Mydrive (so lasts week version). This should suffice to update maps on my via62.

Browsing other threads on this forum it is clear that TomTom servers are not up to the task of providing fast reliant download speeds.

Given the fact that mydrive percentage complete doesn't seem to be able to go past 1% I am going to ask TomTom to do the installation of the map.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,452
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MarcAmsterdam
    MarcAmsterdam wrote:The exact instruction in the email stated btw to not have the auto downloads during the night on. Instead, they should be off.
    I agree and I never suggested you do that ??? Why on earth would you set your update to download in the night when you PC is turned off
    The default download time in the Setting menu is 16:00Hrs to 20:00Hrs or 4:00PM to 8:00PM is nowhere near Night time and personally my PC would most likely be on during that period, you can also set the download session to a time more suited to your convenience

My Broadband Virgin Media 100Mbps
    Home Wi-Fi to PC 30 Mbps... to iPhone 76 Mbps... I have no Idea of the Wi-Fi connection speed to the NAV5 devices

NAV4 Full Europe Map Update 8GB+... Around 50 to 55 Mins
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) I hardly ever bother with Wi-Fi its much quicker over USB
    Full Europe Map update... Around 25 Minutes, Updates on the fly... (No download --> Decompress --> Transfer over USB --> Install on device)

ATB YFM
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 542 [Exalted Navigator]
    what is the relevance of adding the customer contact number to this post dhn?

My question is not how to solve this issue.

My question is whether the TomTom Board of Directors actually cares about providing a great customer experience with their product. Given that the issue of "slow map updates" is around more then 5 years I understand they don't care.
    They don't seem to care about anything that customers have to say about their products - their philosophy seems to be "just ignore them and carry on as before."
    See the following:
    " Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi said they had closed a partnership with Google, which will supply new infotainment systems for their vehicles, including services such as Google Assistant and Google Maps.
    TomTom could not immediately be reached for comment."
    https://money.usnews.com/investing/news/articles/2018-09-18/tomtom-shares-crash-as-carmakers-opt-for-google-maps
    Reinforces the point I made above. Even when confronted by the media about a serious situation, they still refuse to engage with anyone.
    Even Mister Goddijn understands the experience is very bad. At the same time he and the board doesn't seem to have a simple clue how to answer this:

TomTom CEO: user experience, not price, behind customer defections
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tomtom-results-ceo/tomtom-ceo-user-experience-not-price-behind-customer-defections-idUSKCN1MQ1WJ

I don't think they have a clue about how to do anything, judging by the responses I have receive to many questions I have put to the company. The most I have managed to get out of them is that x problem may be fixed with lots of feedback through mapshare, but a real solution may be a long way off (in other words, dream on, it's not gonna happen).

It looks like the end is in sight for this company, as major customers are starting to vote with their feet and word gets around even amongst those with lesser influence that maybe it's time to consider alternative solutions. Pity really as they could have had a great future if they had only listened to their customers and brought in the necessary expertise to resolve the many issues we have reported over the years.