Fed up getting Rider 550 connected with iPhone, Schuberth, Ducati? Read on. — TomTom Community

Fed up getting Rider 550 connected with iPhone, Schuberth, Ducati? Read on.

macleodalmacleodal Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 31 in RIDER
I spent ages on this, My full document is attached. The below configuration (which is a hybrid because neither the TomTom, Schuberth or Ducati recommended solutions work) actually does WORK and allow all functionality with small niggles remaining:
d8ecee84-8dbb-44fb-a387-c4a771e33d8f.jpg
My overall conclusions from the multiple permutations and combinations I've tried, and the many many hours spent, are essentially that TomTom is the largest problem in all of this; their pairing is neither flexible enough nor reliable enough across the board. Badly engineered. Poor software insufficiently tested:

CONCLUSIONS

With so many permutations it’s hard to be 100% conclusive. However I can state the following with confidence:

1. Excluding use of the Ducati MMS, there is no combination of channel selection, pairing order, etc which will allow these three devices (iPhone XS, TomTom Rider 550, Schuberth SC1) to work together correctly. It simply cannot be done.

2. The worse culprit in all of this is the TomTom Rider 550. It could see the Ducati MMS, recognise it as a headset, but would not connect. It also would not connect to the “2nd mobile phone” option on the SC1, which is the channel put there for the primary purpose of allowing a GPS (or second mobile phone) to connect. It even had trouble connecting to my iPhone sometimes depending what other pairings had come before.

3. The Ducati MMS seems much better than it was before the most recent firmware update. I had no issue pairing my iPhone, and I was able to pair both with the 1st mobile phone and 2nd mobile phone options of the Schuberth SC1 (which, in the end, was how I managed to get the setup to work). There are still issues; depending on pairing order, I did have problems getting the headset to pair sometimes – but once paired it seems stable and seems to work.

The fact that the TomTom will not pair easily / correctly with the Ducati (even though it correctly sees it as a headset), and also is temperamental in pairing with the Schuberth SC1 (a mainstream headset with a second channel specifically designed to connect to a GPS or second phone) whereas the phone, the headset and the Ducati MMS had relatively few (or no) pairing issue, lays the lion’s share of the blame for this painful affair at the door of TomTom.

Let’s hope they sort it out soon!

PS - download my full document here if you want to:

http://www.filedropper.com/tomtombluetoothissues

Comments

• eatonjbeatonjb Posts: 22 [Master Traveler]
    I have about the same issue with a 30K , Samsung S8 and the TomTom,

it works a lot of times, but most of the time, I find it not getting traffic for some reason, or the sound of the navigation is horible.

Can't get HQ sound from my TomTom without the music from the phone stopping working .. such a pain.
  • zx14rzx14r Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Can you share the document using an alternate provider?
  • Fin_ILeFin_ILe Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    TT manual says about the phone, it can be connected and even used for calls... but in real life - it doesn't work at all.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 247 [Exalted Navigator]
    Fin_ILe wrote: »
    TT manual says about the phone, it can be connected and even used for calls... but in real life - it doesn't work at all.

In my setup I can setup a phone call with Google Now. Also picking up a incoming call works but I do not lite to use it. When i Drive my bike i do not want additional distractions.

But I am thinking about setting up a Phone call as replacement for the intercom connection to increase the range.
    TomTom Rider Projects https://roadrider.jouwweb.nl/
    Interesting.
    Manual says, it should work, but mine, and many others devices, works as in the following video.

Do You, RoadRider, have 550?
    Yes I have a Rider 550.
    My headset is a Interphone tour
    phone is a Motorola X4

This setup works but the intercom does not always reconnect after navigation instructions (Headset problem).
    To solve this I also use a cheap BT AD2P audio to FM transmitter adapter for navigation instructions and using the Interphone tour FM radio to receive the instructions.

Before you setup BT first clear old connections on every device. On the phone it’s best to also reset the hidden cache.
    And setup in the right order.
    edited August 9
    Well' You've been lucky.
    No matter how many times I try to pair or if devices has been cleared, including cache, mine works exactly as TT describes on the video above.
    Hi @Fin_ILe,

If you use the 2 channel pairing instruction and you end up not supporting phone calls it looks like your headset supports only one BT channel.

Is your het set on the compatibility list https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25645