Runner 3 and iOS app — TomTom Community

Runner 3 and iOS app

ChrisCMChrisCM Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have a runner 3 which I link to my iPhone 6s and my MacBook Pro. When I sync to the MacBook all the data from the watch is downloaded incuding, importantly for me, the activities data including the GPS data showing my route. If I sync via the ios app then all the basic data, steps, calories etc downloads but not the activities data. This only appears on the phone app after I have synced via the MacBook - I assume that it is getting the data via the internet and not direct from the watch, is this how it is supposed to work?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,630
    Superusers
    You cannot sync by the computer and the phone, it is either/or. Once you have synced by computer the activity has been deleted from the watch so any subsequent syncs to the phone will just be activity data (unless you do another sports activity in the meantime). I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • ChrisCMChrisCM Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the reply but I’m afraid this has just confused me more, if what you say is correct then is there any point in having the iOS app if all it is doing is reflecting what I have already synced to the TomTom site via my MacBook? Surely I could just look at the Tom Tom sports site via my phone browser, then I wouldn’t be wasting phone and watch battery power using Bluetooth, but of course the data would only be as up to date as my previous tethered MacBook update.
    Superusers
    ChrisCM wrote:
    Thanks for the reply but I’m afraid this has just confused me more, if what you say is correct then is there any point in having the iOS app if all it is doing is reflecting what I have already synced to the TomTom site via my MacBook? Surely I could just look at the Tom Tom sports site via my phone browser, then I wouldn’t be wasting phone and watch battery power using Bluetooth, but of course the data would only be as up to date as my previous tethered MacBook update.
    The phone app can be used to sync as well as some people prefer that to the computer or do not have access to a computer. If you sync exclusively by computer, then the app is just a report viewer essentially and you can turn BT off on the watch to save batteries. This is exactly what I do as I sync by computer only.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • ChrisCMChrisCM Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Right, I think I’m getting it now! However, if I don’t have daily access to my Mac to do the syncing, say when on holiday for a week or two, can the activities data, including the gps tracking data, be uploaded via the iOS app on my phone?
    btw, thanks for your patience with this, it’s much appreciated!
    Superusers
    ChrisCM wrote:
    Right, I think I’m getting it now! However, if I don’t have daily access to my Mac to do the syncing, say when on holiday for a week or two, can the activities data, including the gps tracking data, be uploaded via the iOS app on my phone?
    btw, thanks for your patience with this, it’s much appreciated!
    Yes, which ever means you use will work. Once a specific activity has been uploaded it cannot be uploaded again, so if you use your phone first it will upload by phone, if your computer first, then it will upload by computer. You can switch back and forth it is just that once an activity is uploaded it is gone from the watch and will not upload a second time.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.