Tomtom rider 550 doesn't charge — TomTom Community

Tomtom rider 550 doesn't charge

Andre65Andre65 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
edited January 26 in RIDER
Tomtom rider 550 doesn't charge when mounted on the motorcycle. I Ohm tested the cable wire and the battery is ok. But when testing the poles on the doc just one of the two connectors seems to work.
As I understand the dock has some kind of fuse, but how do I change it?

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 257 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi,

When you have the voltage on for the charger, do you get any voltage at all across the two pins? Not really sure what you mean by "when testing the poles on the doc just one of the two connectors seems to work" ... since compared to ground only one should work, the other should be ground.

Have a nice day,
    Anders

• Andre65Andre65 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi Anders,
    Thanks for your answer hope its ok if I'm writing to you in Swedish just to get the details right:

Jag OHM mätte de båda polerna i själva dockan genom att sätta en kontakt mot dockans ovansida (där navigatorn sitter) mot kontakten till sladden. Endast en av polerna fick kontakt. Kanske mäter jag fel?

Saken är den att kablaget till dockan funkar (Ohm mätt) men ingen indikation på att navin laddar visar sig i displayen. (12v 16aH)
    Andre65 wrote:
    Jag OHM mätte de båda polerna i själva dockan genom att sätta en kontakt mot dockans ovansida (där navigatorn sitter) mot kontakten till sladden. Endast en av polerna fick kontakt. Kanske mäter jag fel?
    Hi, hope you think it's ok with an English answer ...? ;-)

Anyway, you have probably measured the negative side, the "earth" and there seen a zero Ohm reading on that pin. This is a 5V charger that you power with the motorcycle 12V so it's very close to be an USB charger, it just doesn't use the USB micro connector. To rule out any issues with the connection to the motorcycle 12V, could you find a Volt meter so that you can see if the dock itself provide any voltage between the two pin's? Or could you power the dock directly from a reasonably charged 12V battery?

Does the GPS charge ok when you connect the USB cable to the GPS itself and a 5V USB charger?

Ha det bra,
    Anders

• Andre65Andre65 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi Anders.
    Back to English again :)
    Thanks for advices. Here is what I've done with the multimeter:
    1. I checked the main cable to the battery for resistance and voltage just to be sure, the cable is ok,
    2. I checked the cable connector attaching the small cable: ok.
    3. I checked the smaller dock cable connector by carving out the cable to get contact with the wiring. The small cable connector is ok.
    4. I opened the dock housing to check the wiring. The wiring to the small circuit board is ok.
    5. But finally the problem seems to be from the circuit board to the two small contacts. When shortcutting them with the multimeter nothing happens.
    I guess the fuse is on the circuit board?

Hälsningar
    André
    Hi, suggest that you contact Tomtom support, you might need a new charger/dock ...

... och ledsen för engelskan ;-)

Ha det bra,
    Anders