Lack of possibility to charge TomTom Adventurer during activity — TomTom Community

Lack of possibility to charge TomTom Adventurer during activity

CezaryCezary Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
I am aware of TomTom statement that sport watches were not designed to have a possibility to charge battery during activity, but that's one of biggest disadvantage of those watches. I use Adventurer, which is said to keep working up to 10 hours, but - again - during last ultra marathon it couldn't reach 8 hours working on one charging (almost everything what was possible to turn off, was turned off - only GPS and heart beat sensor in watch were on). Already now I know that next ultra runs (over 100km each) I won't be able to use this watch. Sad. Especially when Garmin's users simple use power banks to support battery life.

Comments

• NiallNiall Posts: 11,035
    Superuser
    @Cezary

Try using the power bank at the start and then when it is used up then go to the internal power. Try this without doing an actual run, to see if it works when it is not critical :)
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,816
    Superusers
    Cezary wrote:
    I am aware of TomTom statement that sport watches were not designed to have a possibility to charge battery during activity, but that's one of biggest disadvantage of those watches. I use Adventurer, which is said to keep working up to 10 hours, but - again - during last ultra marathon it couldn't reach 8 hours working on one charging (almost everything what was possible to turn off, was turned off - only GPS and heart beat sensor in watch were on). Already now I know that next ultra runs (over 100km each) I won't be able to use this watch. Sad. Especially when Garmin's users simple use power banks to support battery life.
    When the watch senses a change in power state it resets, so if you plug it in mid-activity it will reset. If you start it plugged into a power bank and leave it in the whole time, letting the bank run out and naturally switch to watch battery it will not reset. However, the trick is getting the cradle to not come loose the entire time (which will cause a reset), which is likely if it is in a pack. You also will not be able to wear it, nor will you get HR. You could try taping it or something possibly, but I would practice it ahead of time. You're better off using multiple devices and joining the files together afterwards. You will still have two entries in TomTom Sports, but you can upload the joined file to anywhere else you log your activities, like Strava.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.