TomTom Rider & Tyre — TomTom Community

TomTom Rider & Tyre

GilbertHillGilbertHill Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 21 in RIDER
Hi,

My first device is a TomTom Rider 2 that I bought second-hand on ebay. After a couple of years I have decided to replace it. It has many faults and can only be used with Tyre, TomTom don't support it in their route planning software. It is only 5 years old but the message from TomTom is that I can go hang. If I was to buy another TomTom, would the message be again that withing 5 years I will need to replace it because TomTom want you to replace your device every couple of years. The current Garmin appears to have more features and is about £100 cheaper. For motorcycles, does anyone know a good reason to buy another TomTom device?

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 261 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi "GilbertHill", good morning.

As in most forums you will find people here that experience problems so you will probably get a few "run for the hills" responses.

I dont believe that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, Garmin that is. Based on local experience I would say that Garmin too has their flaws, I have riding buddies that spend most of the time at rest stops fooling around with their 595's, complaining about their devices not even having the roads present that we've just ridden ... Yes, they can check their tire pressure and so on but the basic functionality of the GPS still leave a lot to wish for and so do the functionality of the Tomtom Rider.

The GPS itself I see as just one part of the experience, I would say you need to team it up with a route planning application that suit your needs and taste. At least if route planning is your primary goal, if you need the GPS just to get you to certain addresses then I would say that any brand and device will do that, one way or the other.

My choice of MyRoute-app (Gold) together with a Tomtom Rider 4xx/5xx has worked just fine for me over the last couple of years, I do not have it connected to my headset and are happy with it just as it is, just learned to leave with the "personality" of it ... ;-)

Have a nice day, hope you find what you are looking for.

Regards,
    Anders

• GilbertHillGilbertHill Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Anders.

Interesting comments.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Hi,

My first device is a TomTom Rider 2 that I bought second-hand on ebay. After a couple of years I have decided to replace it. It has many faults and can only be used with Tyre, TomTom don't support it in their route planning software. It is only 5 years old but the message from TomTom is that I can go hang.

TomTom Rider 2 is 11 years old. It was out in October 25 of 2007. It belongs to a very old unsupported platform (NAV2).

It can’t use the latest maps so it’s impossible to cooperate with MyDrive that has always the latest one. There can be significant inconsistencies. Tyre wasn’t the best solution too because the maps were different.
    If I was to buy another TomTom, would the message be again that withing 5 years I will need to replace it because TomTom want you to replace your device every couple of years. The current Garmin appears to have more features and is about £100 cheaper. For motorcycles, does anyone know a good reason to buy another TomTom device?

Definitely not. We can’t say that. They’ve other problems but they’ll not leave a device in the cold in a couple of years... (