Rider 500/550 review — TomTom Community

Rider 500/550 review

ControlControl Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 30 in RIDER
Without doubt one of the most user unfriendly POS I’ve ever bought. Tried it one day. Wanted to plan a route to one of “My Places”. Could not do it, not even an option. Had to type in an address or forget it. Could not connect it to my computer. Tomtom said (through very bad, highly accented English) I had to use WiFi but after trying to connect with the device, Tomtom My Drive and TomTom Connect (Why does it take three programs?) they told me I had to use a different WiFi connection. What? I’m supposed to go to someone else’s house every time I want to plan a trip?! I've sent the device back to Amazon for a refund and went back to using my old TomTom 400. The 500/550 has a better screen but it ends there. RUN away from this product. Don't walk, RUN.
Yes, it is good if you just want to get from point A to point B and don't care what route you take. But if you want to take a five day, 3000 mile trip or even a three hour trip and want to control what roads you want to take, forget about it. if you are out on a ride and suddenly decide that you want to take a "windy" route to one of your favorite places that you have saved, nope, can't happen. Not even an option for it in the menus.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,968 Superusers
    Hi
    @Control
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re Rider 5xx (Wi-Fi) usually update using Wi-Fi... But See Option..(2)

All the update actions are executed on the device...
    [h3]Option... (1) Connected Wifi[/h3]Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

[h3]Option... (2) Connected USB[/h3]If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required You can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

870d2bce-aa69-408c-b876-cf4aeb5e2fb5.png
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Setting --> Maps
    Wi-fi or MyDrive Connect is for updating the device...

The MyDrive Web Route planner is a Browser based Route planner
    See Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    Login with your account details

The MyDrive App is for a Tomtom Live Services connection, Phone & Headset connection and Route planning on your Phone
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tap Plan a thrill --> select your required level of Windiness & Hilliness... Tap on the required Favorite/MyPlace Blue Star Icon --> A quick Menu opens...Tap on 'Set Destination'... The device will calculate the Route from your present location to your chosen Favorite/MyPlace using your chosen Thrill parameters

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    highly accented English) I had to use WiFi"
    I was on the phone for an hour and support tried WiFi and direct cable connect without success. My wifi was 6" away from my 550 and even though the device said "connected" it would not work.
    TomTom 550 would boot up, say "Connected to computer" but could not be seen by the computer, MyDrive or MyDriveConnect.
    Instead of:
    'Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tap Plan a thrill --> select your required level of Windiness & Hilliness... Tap on the required Favorite/MyPlace Blue Star Icon --> A quick Menu opens...Tap on 'Set Destination'... The device will calculate the Route from your present location to your chosen Favorite/MyPlace using your chosen Thrill parameters"
    How bout: Plan windy ride brings a popup screen with the options of Address or My Places or Home. Select "My Places" which brings a popup lists of my places, select one then select "Ride". Simple. What's with all this four dot stuff, and blue star icons? Please, plain, strait forward language. I don't want to have to learn another language to use the device.
    Hi
    @Control

2ee0a7e6-79d1-448f-8992-cf6593f6c430.jpg_____________________________________
    Control wrote:
    Instead of Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tap Plan a thrill --> select your required level of Windiness & Hilliness... Tap on the required Favorite/MyPlace Blue Star Icon --> A quick Menu opens...Tap on 'Set Destination'... The device will calculate the Route from your present location to your chosen Favorite/MyPlace using your chosen Thrill parameters"How about: Plan windy ride brings a popup screen with the options of Address or My Places or Home. Select "My Places" which brings a popup lists of my places, select one then select "Ride". Simple. ? Please, plain, strait forward language. I don't want to have to learn another language to use the device.
    Yea That's fine just use the Sub Menus in the Plan a Thrill menu....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tap Plan a Thrill -->
    Tap the 3Dot Icon screen bottom right --> Set Destination --> Tap search --> the search Menu opens... Enter the name or as much of the name for the required MyPlace to appear in the MyPlaces list (Screen Right) --> Select the required MyPlace....
    The Map zooms into the MyPlace location --> Tap 'Set' button....
    The device will calculate the Route from your present location to your chosen Favorite/MyPlace using your chosen Thrill parameters

ATB YFM

Nonsense. Sell it if you do not want put any time in learning the nav. Connecting to phones is not always easy, but a general statement: WIFI TT fouls up any working connection is way out.
    You should have read are talked to the shop before you bought.

This is especially voor our America guy Control saying:
    "Please, plain, strait forward language. I don't want to have to learn another language to use the device."

Sell it, buy a Garmin, US based.
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 22 [Legendary Explorer]
    I agree about learning the Sat nav, unfortunately TOMTOM DIDN'T !!!!
    I thought I was buying an update to the 400 series (Which works quite well) Not a dummed down version ! Tomtom have little understanding of this device, for gods sake you cant even save or backup your favourites ! and yes I will be reverting to Garmin

And the wifi conection for traffic and phones is a mess, use Bluetooth, but re-enabling the wifi will screw the connections up.
    Hi
    @Nigel A
    Nigel A wrote:
    For gods sake you cant even save or backup your favourites
    Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC I've posted this How to guide using the method developed by User GEB
    It looks complicated but it isn't, most of the process steps are for the installation of the programs and set-up and are only required once...
    Then it's simply Drag 'n' Drop of a few files
    Link to Post.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/faq-what-mydrive-and-what-can-i-do-with-it-990620?postid=1159989

Important... Tomtom has recently changed the file type from a .txt file to a .gz (Zipped file) The file will need unzipping using something like Z-Zip file Manager before you can drop the file into Notepad ++
    Z-Zip file Manager...https://7-zip.org/

ATB YFM

I find it quicker to re-plot my favourites in Garmin Mapsource, export as GPX and do a conversion that way (think you lose the names though) the worst bit is you have to import the ov.2 files to Mydrive, but you cant see POI points in Mydrive ! to make it worse, after exporting (Yet again!) to the 550 you can convert the Pois to favorites but not the other way ! still a bloody hasle for what should be a basic function (Especially as tomtom advise that favourite points are limited!
    Hi
    @Nigel A

The Ride 5xx range DOES still work with .ITN Routes
    The latest Tyre DOES generate .ITN Routes the Tyre 'Save As' option works as before saving .ITN files to the Desktop

.ITN files can still be loaded into the Rider 5xx range using the Tomtom 'Easy route upload'... Connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly to and from your device’s memory using a file explorer program... OR... Transfer the .ITN files using a Micro SD Card as a transfer medium

ATB YFM

I was wrong about the itn files (Tomtom actually said they were unsupported) although I'm not sure what they save over GPX files and converting. As to the download I cant drag and drop over the computer as the tomtom does not register as a drive or device (although I am sure I did get limited access while mucking around.) The Sd card does work although I have no intention to keep fiddlin around with a tiny card / into an adapter / convert / download / fiddle back into the tomtom. The whole charade is totally ridiculous !!! so much for totom connectivity!

Thanks for your help and info though. Am now looking for a Tomtom to Garmin hardware converter !! :wink:
  • Nigel ANigel A Posts: 22 [Legendary Explorer]
    UMM... of course this doesn't actually get me anywhere, the 550 doesn't connect with Tyre, and POIs, although you can import them to Mydrive, they don't actually show in Mydrive so connecting / route planning is actually a wast of time !
    Hi
    @Nigel A
    The Rider 400 will give you direct access to a small buffer/transfer area of the Rider 400 Main Memory... You can also access your Micro SD Card, you can drag & drop your .ITN or .GPX route files directly to the Rider 400 Memory buffer/transfer area or the Micro SD Memory card over a secure system
    You don't have to have to use the Micro SD Card as a transfer medium

NavCore Version 15.302
    Released on 3 July 2015
    This update applies to: Rider 40/400
    With the "Easy route upload"... You can connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly to and from your device’s memory using a file explorer program.....

(1)... Connect Your device via USB and this screen appears on the Rider 400
    c64613c2-b6ca-4088-a8c6-b2c72a2c765e.jpg
    (2)... Tap the Import route Icon and the Rider 400 connects to the secure "Easy route upload"
    185e7f17-03ea-4d08-9f20-aba2fc64aa84.jpg
    (3)... On your PC filing system you should see "Tomtom Rider 400" where you can drag and drop your route files directly into the Rider 400 main memory or the Micro SD Card
    919d5cae-3ecf-4793-9054-01d72008d510.png
    (4)... If you haven't got a Memory card installed it only shows the Rider 400 Main memory
    5651c674-0f6d-428b-bc80-4f9a34848618.png
    (5)... Drag & drop your route files to the device or the Memory card
    a4f9173c-6dd0-4119-b0dd-4956b581243f.png
    (6)... When your done tap "Done"
    7b1aa1e6-2953-49e8-be7c-2158437bca5c.jpgATB YFM

I know !, I borrowed a 400 before stupidly buying a 550. You cant access the 500's without hacking / routing the devices ! The 550 really is a pigs ear!
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    As I can see the USB import (using MTP protocol) functionality remains the same.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#ImportingroutesfromyourcomputerusingUSB-Wings.htm

On macOS you need “Android File Transfer” utility, on Windows Vista and later is supported out of the box but there can be some problem with your installation. You may have to troubleshoot it...
    Hi
    @Nigel A

The only Difference I find with my Rider 5xx over the Rider 4xx
    Pluses = Faster Processor, More Memory, Bluetooth A2DP support for voice instructions, Wi-Fi & Touch variable screen
    Minuses = No Bluetooth File Transfer
    Everything else for me works exactly the same as my Rider 4xx even the unfixed problems/bugs still present

ATB YFM

Hi
    @Ste7ios
    Post edited :relaxed:

ATB YFM

amazing that would be taken away.
    i use myrouteapp gold lifetime, whip up a sweet route on my tablet, download then bluetooth to the 400. or since i cant have folders on the 400, i keep my routes in folders on the web, google drive or myrouteapp. (for example different regions or states, to keep it cleaner and easier to find what i'm looking for)

i am unable to connect the rider 400 using usb to my tablet,
    my 400 has the condensation issue after riding in the rain, but i'll toss it in a ziplock before considering a 500/550
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 245 [Exalted Navigator]
    Why still use bluetooth, MicroSD and USB for loading routes.
    Managing and syncing routes with MyDrive over WiFi is
    mutch easier.

You can also share routes with the MyDrive App and mail or WhatsApp.
  • ChrisHallChrisHall Posts: 252 [Exalted Navigator]
    RoadRider wrote:
    Why still use bluetooth, MicroSD and USB for loading routes.
    Managing and syncing routes with MyDrive over WiFi is
    mutch easier.

You can also share routes with the MyDrive App and mail or WhatsApp.

And have to use TomTom MyDrive for route planning? - err, no thanks, I'll stick with MyRoute App.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 245 [Exalted Navigator]
    With MyRouteApp it works the same.

Select your route select Save as -> TomTom Mydrive -> Login and almost immediately your route is available on your device over WiFi. (ore 4G on your phone and Bluetooth to your rider. On de Rider 5X0 you need the MyDrive App to enable this)
    Hi

I mainly use .ITN routes and the Tomtom 'Easy route upload'....
    Connect your TomTom Rider to your PC using a USB cable, then drag and drop your route files directly to and from your device’s memory using a file explorer program... I find it faster and more reliable

The MyDrive App uses the MyDive Web Route planner as a transfer medium when transferring .GPX Tracks...
    As far as I'm aware you can't transfer .ITN Route this way

ATB YFM

Personally I prefer Tracks over Routes for a road trip.

Only when I need to be 100% sure to be at a waypoint ITN is better for me. But even than I use MyDrive to transfer places and create the route on the device.

But I am lazy and don’t like to use the USB cable anymore when I can use the Cloud.