TomTom Runner 3 display — TomTom Community

TomTom Runner 3 display

twilightrunnerstevietwilightrunnerstevie Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
[h1]Running pace display[/h1] f197b2fd-528b-4a63-a8c2-9f9b426522a5.png Hi.

I've had a tomtom runner 3 for a few months, & love it, but recently on runs, the live pace display has become erratic. For example, my normal running pace is usually between about 8:15-8:30 ish per mile, less if I'm in very good shape at the time. And the watch used to hold these readings quite consistently.

But now it is starting to give readings of well over 9 mins, 9:30,9:45, then about 8:45, 8:00, (more realistic for a moment) but then goes back to a reading of over 9 mins again. I've even had a reading of over 10 mins per mile pace when I haven't slowed!

These fluctuations in pace happen when there has been very little or no change at all to the level of the ground I am running on, nor have I altered my pace. And this happened again the other day when I actually felt quicker.

However, when I sync the watch with my phone after the run, the split averages for the miles look okay, in the eights & high sevens where I expect them to be. (As we know, the watch will calculate my distance with the total time it took). So it seems that it is just the display which is showing these strange fluctuations in live pace.

But it is still annoying when I can't visually get an accurate live pace, so don't know how quick I really was until I finish & sync.

I don't know why my watch has started doing this, it didn't used to. I've tried wiping the back, thinking maybe it was a bit of dirt/sweat on the sensor, but this hasn't helped much.

So does anyone have any idea what may be causing this, had any such problems yourselves? I just hope it isn't a case of me sending my watch back for a replacement or repair. I've had it for only about six months.

Any advice or ideas will be welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,345
    Superusers
    Unfortunately TT really sticks at tracking pace. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. Normally if you are running at a steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 5+ years ago and really has not changed much, and it certainly won't change now that TT is out of the watch business. Try a factory reset but other than that I am not sure what there is to do.

As an aside, TT left the market and stooped all production and development almost a year ago so the watch your recently bought is essentially a dead product. It is what it is and will never improve or change. If you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand that is active in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • twilightrunnerstevietwilightrunnerstevie Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the input tfarabaugh. I suppose I could try a factory re-set, the problem did start after I messed with the settings while running, & accidentally changed the live display to calories. But since I changed it back to pace, it should be fine.

I could also try changing to average pace rather than live, or ask the tomtom helpdesk on here for my specific product.

If it was a case of me returning the device, & going for a different, actively produced brand, which would you suggest as a reliable, accurate running watch? Garmin?

Thanks.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,345
    Superusers
    Thanks for the input tfarabaugh. I suppose I could try a factory re-set, the problem did start after I messed with the settings while running, & accidentally changed the live display to calories. But since I changed it back to pace, it should be fine.

I could also try changing to average pace rather than live, or ask the tomtom helpdesk on here for my specific product.

If it was a case of me returning the device, & going for a different, actively produced brand, which would you suggest as a reliable, accurate running watch? Garmin?

Thanks.
    These days Garmin is really the best (and really only) choice. They are far and away the market leader and have more watches in the price point of TT and are not going away any time soon. Fitbit are not really good running watches and Suunto has a limited lineup and they have had issues (and is up for sale, not a good sign). I have a Vivoactive 3 that is great.