Lifetime Guarantee explanation — TomTom Community

Lifetime Guarantee explanation

Pedro F Santamaria GrantPedro F Santamaria Grant Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Travel lounge
What does a lifetime guarantee mean, the life of the product? the life of the owner? or the life that the manfacturer choose to give the product. To all effects the life time guarantee offered is only 10 years!

Comments

• justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    'till TT themselves decide its life is over using such excuses as "internal memory is too small for many of the (quite understandably, more detailed & therefore larger maps), TOTALLY IGNORING THE FACT that most of the End-of-Life devices already have an SD or MicroSD card slot; for what if not to expand the memory???
    Or until TT need to generate further income by selling inferior " new & improved" devices!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,097
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Pedro F Santamaria Grant

It's certainly not the original purchasers actual Life span....
    Its OK to die, the device will still be supported, the device can passed on to a Relative/Friend/Sold-on and Tomtom will honour the devices Lifetime Guarantee until....
    Lifetime – this is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates....

ATB YFM
  • Pedro F Santamaria GrantPedro F Santamaria Grant Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    I make theis comment because I recently had a 50 year old pen repaired by the maker under the Life Time Guarantee, and they didnt charge even postage! I still have and maintain a reel to reel tape machine, for which parts are still available after 48 years. My 530 is till in perfect working order, and with a memory card more than capable of running modern software, so why change it for a similar or inferior model just because it is 14 years old?.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    ....because TT want more of your money for an inferior device!
    The x30's (like the x20's, x40's & x50's) are all damn good devices!

PS there are of course unofficial GPS forums where you can still get updates etc although it obviously cannot be discussed here but you could try google search for "gps forums" or similar?