Creating, Using and Living with ITN and GPX Routes and Tracks - Getting Straight - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Creating, Using and Living with ITN and GPX Routes and Tracks - Getting Straight

2»

Comments

• cristocristo Posts: 16 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Quote: ...."It’s better to include any gas stations (or other POIs) in your route during the route design. "...

So... how do you know where the 'gas' (petrol over in UK!) stations are? Maybe it's simple but I don't know the answer!
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Other riders that have been lately on the same area, yellow pages can be nice sources...

From my latest experience the POIs can be inaccurate... The only petrol station in a distance of about 50 Km didn’t exist anymore. It ruined our trip with only vapors in our tanks.
    ah OK - perhaps for expeditions in far flung regions....but on UK/EU roads it seems to work pretty well (with a few close calls!)...and now you will tell me you are in EU :-) ; and petrol is generally not too far away (although I wish POI's identified the brand as some cheaper one's are best avoided!).
    Good point to consider though.
    Usually we do 500 Km per ride in the country / mountains here (Greece). Some of the craziest can do 1.000 Km per day... The economic (and not only) crisis of Greece has closed some petrol stations and other businesses... Most things are left in chance...

I’m sure that POIs are more reliable in UK an other northern countries... (they are well organized and consistent).
    Regarding our previous discussions on Navigation with .gpx files to summarise MY current understanding of using Tomtom to follow a track and following a couple of days away touring:

TomTom supports importing for .gpx formatted files
    For any one imported .gpx file the TomTom Rider will import both route and track sections [if they both exist in the source ] of .gpx files AND the two imported file names will be named Route-myfilename and Track-myfilename .

For navigation using the above the files the following is true:
    1. Route-myfilename = TomTom has only partially implemented the Route translation of a .gpx route. Using this method Route points are not displayed on the screen. Results are unpredictable - advised not to use
    2. Track-myfilename = TomTom has implemented the Track translation of a .gpx track. Using this method Trackpoints are not displayed on the screen. Results are unpredictable where a track cannot be followed (e.g. where a TomTom map indicates a no-through road) and routing will reflect the nearest possible Tomtom mapped road. It would be useful if TomTom at least indicated the original route (with an underlay route for example which we could choose to follow) however currently it is not possible to see the original route unless it matches a mapped road. For a track it will align to nearest road to follow the track points. No routing algorithm is used for a track, the TT will attempt to follow the track. This can result in routing errors (i.e. no route possible) in some circumstances.
    3. .ITN = Using this method Route points are displayed on the screen. TT device will calculate the best route (according to selected TT routing method; i.e. fastest/winding etc.). In practice, and following some trial and error and careful preparation of routes (converted from .gpx tracks) using Waypoints (to replace the trackpoints) I have found the best and most flexible/workable solution, which is to load my recorded tracks as edited Waypoint Routes. This enables me to control the .ITN route while taking advantage of dynamic re-routing due to any unexpected deviation from the route. Also, it is easier to skip a stop (a waypoint) or start from a specified stop to recover from changes or deviations. The Disadvantage is that a lot of waypoints are required to control a route (remember we are trying to following a track here really) and that means many waypoints clutter the screen. This means other useful information (like camera locations, petrol stations and useful waypoints or POI's are obscured abd fairly useless. It also means that the distance to next stop becomes useless as the next one is just a way of controlling the route not a point of any interest.) - However it is the best workaround and I had a great trip based on this usage scenario.
    So in conclusion.
    1) The TomTom device will support Tracks in a manner of speaking but not fully from a practical (predictable reliability) viewpoint.
    2) TomTom can be made to follow a track by converting it to an .ITN file with many [trackpoints coverted to] Waypoints
    The workaround is not ideal but it does make it possible to get the TT to provide a route with predictable and reliable results.
    3) To create the routes that work, from tracks, a routing application is required such as Tyre or MyRouteApp Web to prepare and convert tracks into .ITN files.

Easy really.
    Yes, tracks can be the groundwork to design a route.

Software like Tyre Pro, MyRoute-App Gold and other can make the job easier by adding many waypoints to force the nav software to follow a specific route, and reduce the number of waypoints to a minimum.

Experience can make it really optimized to the absolutely necessary and avoid errors that can create confusion.

Tyre has a great guide about route design...
    Also the best is to design a route on the same map that the device has. Anything else can drive to inconsistencies, errors...

MyRoute-App Gold is the best because it provides maps from all vendors so you can see if the route is ok for your device, make comparisons etc. (the last one is very useful if you want to share a route with users of other device makers).
    Ste7ios wrote:
    Also the best is to design a route on the same map that the device has. Anything else can drive to inconsistencies, errors...

MyRoute-App Gold is the best because it provides maps from all vendors so you can see if the route is ok for your device, make comparisons etc. (the last one is very useful if you want to share a route with users of other device makers).

Yes I have tried this (MyRouteApp Gold) and it is very good.
    Not perfect though - even with up to date device maps there was a difference in the route the TT tried v's what I saw on MyRouteApp web (Tomtom route) due to TT device thinking it was a non navigable road - it only happened once and was while using Route- track which I wouldn't do again.
    So again yes my experience agrees with your advice; thanks Ste7ios for your inputs and advice.
    (PS if you see my daughter in Greece ask her to come back. She likes it so much following 5 months in country it looks like she'll be staying, which could be to do with the Greek boyfriend I suppose!!)
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,968 Superusers
    Hi
    @cristo
    The MyDrive App uses the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner in the Transfer process

I find it best to transfer the .itn/.gpx files via Your PC filer system and the Tomtom "Easy route upload"... or using a Micro USB Card

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'