My new TomTom start 52 can’t find postcodes — TomTom Community

My new TomTom start 52 can’t find postcodes

If I enter a postcode like pa33 1bn the sat nav then asks for a street name,which the place does not have.
My old TomTom finds the post code right away

Most of my addresses I need to attend are farms in Scotland without street names,again my old Tom Tom finds them right away.

please can you help

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,862 Superusers
    Hi
    @Duncanfandrews

Firstly you don't use a 'Space' in the Middle of the postcode

There are two Search engines on the NAV4 devices....
    Quick Search (The Best) & Step by Step search (See Note...)
    To check/change the search engine... Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System... Choose a search mode

Postcode search (Quick Search)
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search... Enter the Postcode (Without a space) you can enter a house number before or after the postcode, but you do, put a space between the house number and the postcode
    On the left-hand side of the screen the device offers a location name for the postcode
    Tap the offered location name... the device will offer three choices Tap the (Drive) Button
    The device will calculate the route
    If the Postcode is a POI the offered location name will be on the Right-hand side of the screen

53410aaa-6240-4fee-b1e7-20e7a97e20f1.jpg
    Note...There's a Bug in the 'Step by Step' search engine where the Menu flow, won't complete a Postcode search unless you also know the Name of the road

ATB YFM
  • DuncanfandrewsDuncanfandrews Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Many thanks for your quick reply I have tried what you said but in System I have no search mode. I have
    About
    Format Memory card
    Reset device
    Battery Settings
    Your information & privacy

Any Ideas ?
    Hi
    @Duncanfandrews

Sorry for confusing you... the Start range I was referring to is the from the Previous range of Start Models

Postcode + Street Name... Start 42/52/62
    This is a long standing problem....
    The Postcode code search bug when using the latest Start 42/52/62 devices is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, Single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me it renders the latest Start device useless in the UK

It's only the latest Start 42/52/62 Range that has this particular Step by Step search method

All of the previous NAV4 Models and the remaining Models in the NAV5 Range... The Via and GO Range have both the "Quick search" and "Step by Step search" as menu options
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode
    Option... (1).... Quick Search (Default)
    Option... (2)... Step by Step

See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/location-search-functionality-on-start-52-postcode-only-1018199

ATB YFM
    Many thanks, I will try TomTom to see if they can replace
    Hi
    @Duncanfandrews

Contact Tomtom Support to sort out your Problems (I find calling the best option)

Support Phone numbers.... Thanks to User Niall for maintaining the list
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/customer-support-phone-numbers-988105/index1.html#post1020431

Email....
    Scroll to the bottom of this page
    From the Support Menu list
    Click 'Contact us'
    Or
    Click Here for a direct link to 'Contact us'....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/locale/en_GB

Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Drill down through the appropriate links
    You will eventually get to....

FAQS --- FORUMS ---- EMAIL US---- PHONE US

OR

Email Direct Link...
    http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact_incident/c/4692/p/2986/es/0
    After Clicking on the Link
    Scroll to the bottom of the new page check your Countries flag is displayed (Screen bottom right) if incorrect click on one of the links and correct

Note... You must already be logged into the site for the 'Email Direct link' to work

ATB YFM
    Hi
    @Duncanfandrews

See... Try a TomTom product for 30 days with no obligation

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/promo/name/money_back_guarantee/locale/en_gb/
    Phone UK Support
    :flag_gb: United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

ATB YFM
    The outcome, for not finding many postcodes, I was told by Tomtom they are working on a fix for this but could not say when or if it would be available.
    This Start 52 was totally useless to me , Currys agreed and refunded the money, I feel Tomtom have scored an own goal here ,there was no real support for this issue,I have been a loyal Tomtom customer for year but they have let themselves down badly, it is now very unlikely I would ever by another Tomtom product, I now have purchased a Garmin which works perfectly.

Poor Show Tomtom

Duncan
  • AdamR1977AdamR1977 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Utter waste of money i will now spend all day giving the worst possible reviews for Tom Tom as i possibly can. I also have noticed entire posts on this topic have purposely been removed to hide the fact this device is utter ****.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0