Import routes and tracks using Bluetooth in TomTom 550 — TomTom Community

Import routes and tracks using Bluetooth in TomTom 550

Matt89Matt89 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited January 11 in RIDER
I can not import routes and tracks using Bluetooth in the TomTom 550 as I could do with the TomTom 410? has something changed?

Comments

• AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 265 [Exalted Navigator]
    Matt89 wrote:
    I can not import routes and tracks using Bluetooth in the TomTom 550 as I could do with the TomTom 410? has something changed?

Hi, do you mean from another Tomtom Rider 4/5xx or do you mean from a computer?

Have a nice day,

Anders
  • Matt89Matt89 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    From 4XX or Smartphone gpx file to TOMTOM 550
    Matt89 wrote:
    with out use my drive
    Matt89 wrote:
    Ok, didn't know that it worked from a phone, will verify from a friends TTR 400 to my 550 during the weekend if we haven't seen any other feedback here by then ...
    Until later ...
    /Anders
    This is what is reported in the manual of the TomTom 4xx but in the 5xx manual there is not, this function has been removed?

c3ab5e12-256d-475f-b849-531c1cf78b0c.jpg
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    It looks like that they have removed that function...
    Ste7ios wrote:
    It looks like that they have removed that function...
    I hope they get it back with some updates
    Matt89 wrote:
    Ok, didn't know that it worked from a phone, will verify from a friends TTR 400 to my 550 during the weekend if we haven't seen any other feedback here by then ...
    Until later ...
    /Anders
    Well, tested and not working ... Hmm, hope this is a feature that they just forgot ... ;-) ... and will bring back.
    Kindly,
    Anders
  • raesewellraesewell Posts: 119 [Exalted Navigator]
    Yes, come on Tomtom make the Rider 550 discoverable in My Routes, I use to send routes from my phone to my Rider 400 and now it's an inconvenience to not have the facility.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 286 [Exalted Navigator]
    raesewell wrote:
    Yes, come on Tomtom make the Rider 550 discoverable in My Routes, I use to send routes from my phone to my Rider 400 and now it's an inconvenience to not have the facility.

that is removed ?? i use it quite often, on my 400
    make a route on my tablet, download from my phone or tablet on a trip then send it to the rider. (shame, seems so many steps back on this product line in general since the rider 5)
    Can one of the admin team make an official request to have the Rider 550 bluetooth discoverable so we can bluetooth routes directly to the unit. I agree with the above post, it does seem like a backward step.
    From the Rider 400 days only tracks could be shared from the device. Not routes.

They never explained it but I guess they want to avoid the problems that can arise from a simple route designed on the device. A route file doesn't contain specific roads. Only the waypoints / stops you want to visit and the rest are calculated and can be changed dynamically.

If you share a route to a same device but with different settings or even use it at different time the result most probably will be different.

If you share it to a device of different brand also a different route can be calculated because of different map data, algorithm, user route settings, etc.

It will be very frustrating for the members of a team if they follow different routes. They will get (almost) lost. (It happened to me one time even with a well designed route because a member of the team had a Garmin.)

So they allowed only the sharing of tracks which is like a recorded route. The result will be the same for everybody with a device of the same brand and same map, and most probably the same on other devices or nav apps...

In general it's not wise to share a route file if it's not well designed.

But it's definitely a foul, a backward step, if you can't use Bluetooth connectivity to exchange files with a computer.
    We are not talking about route or track sharing. We are talking about that ability to bluetooth your own routes from a Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Pc etc directly to the Tomtom, routes or tracks.
    This was possible with the Rider 400, you have to select "My Routes" on the device and you get a brief display across the top of the screen saying Discoverable as (whatever name you have for your device) in my case Rae400 and when it is "discoverable" you are able to bluetooth routes directly to the device. I hope this clears up the misunderstanding.
    there are news?
    There will be no news. TomTom never announces new features before the product is ready (I prefer that than promises that will never be fulfilled) for release or disclose their intentions or what they think... There are also no signs that they take into account what is discussed here...

Communication was never their forte. IMHO it will be good for both sides if there is some kind of communication... They should listen carefully to usage scenarios, etc Not all users have irrational expectations or needs, and I’m sure that they can’t predict everything...
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 283 [Supreme Pioneer]
    With the Rider 5x0 it is possible to share routes only you have to use MyDrive.

If you have a GPX load it in to MyDrive (Cloud) using the MyDrive Website. Select the route and hit Share. Now you can for example mail or Twitter your route.

Also with your Phone you can open the MyDrive App select the route and hit Share. Now you have even more sharing options. (Like WhatsApp, Bluetooth)

With Sharing you share a URL. When the receiver opens this URL he opens Mydrive (Web or App) directly with the route open. Just use the Sync this route option and the route is transferred to our Rider (via Wi-Fi ore 4G on Phone & BT to Rider)

Works even faster and easier than the old way only you need network connectivity (Wi-Fi or 4G) and a smartphone or computer.
    Yes, you can transfer tracks (GPX) that way but not routes (ITN). Also don’t take for granted that WiFi or mobile Internet is available on every area of the world. I can assure you they aren’t, not without difficulties or high costs.

And there’s no guarantee that the MyDrive cloud services or the Internet connection will be available when you need it most... You don’t have any SLA.

The simplest way is usually the best because you can be independent from third parties and can work under any condition...

With that design choice I consider the Rider 550 as an expensive toy and not a real tool.
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 283 [Supreme Pioneer]
    But personally I like Tracks more than ITN. So this works for me. Also I am used to share my routes with others and transfer them to my Rider days before my holiday ore tour day.

You still can use a Lightning or USB MicroSD Card reader to transfer an ITN or GPX to MicroSD and put this in your Rider as last resort.

Yes I also used BT sharing in the past but for me it’s not a big problem.