Fitness Age Not really believable

Vog
Vog Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I am a 63 year old woman and do aerobics (with weights) twice a week; power walk (majority of the time in cardio and perform zones with the occasional foray into the peak zone) and dig the allotment most days; indoor cycling a couple of times a week and Morris dance once a week. I am not over weight, I do not smoke (nor ever have done), have no history of blood pressure or heart problems. The only thing I don't do is run.

I gain between 600 and 1000 points most days but the watch tells me that I have a fitness age of a 78 year old - Who? ! I don't know any 78 year olds who can keep up with me. Does the watch only reflect the fitness of top athletes rather than the man or woman in the street? What more would I have to do to get the damn thing to start recording something nearer my true age.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,936
    Superuser
    I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you in terms of fitness points or fitness age. It only uses runs or cycles to calculate points and while it does refine its readings over time, but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately, I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am. There is nothing you can do to change it, it is what it is, particularly since TT left the industry almost a year ago and ceased all production and development.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Vog
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think my point is that it is telling me that am less fit than someone 15 years older than me and that I am being encouraged to work really hard to improve - but there doesn't seem to be any way for me to do so with the activities I do. I have to scroll through 5 icons telling me that I am 80% less fit than others my age etc, etc before I can see the details. Depressing! It would also be useful if there was a list of what could be considered running - playing tennis or football, aerobics?

Your comment on TT leaving the industry is most interesting as I only upgraded to this watch a month or so back and wasn't aware. I may have bought something else!!!
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,936
    Superuser
    Running is considered running. You need to use the running sports mode, you need to be consistently in a high heart rate zone, you need to have all your stats right and because it is looking at progress over time, the longer it goes the smaller the changes you will see. Frankly, it is useless, it is just a watch, it has no way of knowing how fit you are.

A cursory Google search would have told you they were out of business, unfortunately. If you are able, you may want to consider returning the device and going with another brand that is active in the sports watch market and intends to continue producing and supporting devices.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Vog
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thx