Broken straps and completely inadequate customer service — TomTom Community

Broken straps and completely inadequate customer service

MonespritMonesprit Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
We bought 2 Tom Tom Spark 3's this summer and both straps are broken in less than 4 months. Customer service is utterly impossible, as is this website. With the other problems about the product's inadequacy for swimmers and it's sometimes counting endless miles in a single day that did not occur, who could ever recommend this product? They won't even send out replacement bands, and it is a product failure as both broke exactly the same way for two users...7 days to get a new one, IF it ever comes, is ridiculous for something that never should be broken in less than 4 months anyway.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,344
    Superusers
    They are actually normally very good about strap replacements. The strap is covered under warranty. Either use the self-service site in the link below or call Customer support and they will take care of it, they are very good about replacing them. To get the number for Customer Support, choose Contact at the bottom of this page, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen). The best way to avoid damaging the strap is to not take the watch out of the strap when charging. It is designed so that the dock slips between the watch and the band which limits the amount of twisting. Also, when taking it on and off do not yank on the strap, pull it gently to the desired tightness then snap it in place, which puts less stress on rubber.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/strap_repair

As to recommending this product, that is a moot point as they left the wearables market in November of last year and stopped all production and development. A bit of research would have shown you this was not the product to buy and you could have saved yourself some trouble.

I hope this helps answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • MonespritMonesprit Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    To the respondent- I assume you golf by your picture. I swim primarily, and BECAUSE of my research, I found this to be the best recommended device for lap swimmers. I do none of the things you describe in removing the watch for charging and nor does my partner, whose strap broke in exactly the same way with a month less of usage than mine.

My partner spent 45 minutes with customer service yesterday and still has no replacement band coming yet. So, no, nothing was at all resolved. And further, the unfortunate and useless customer service experiences have just multiplied, rather than proven to have been the exception to generally good service.

Finally, you seem to have provided a link to UK customer service, where I was accidentally routed for my first efforts at obtaining a replacement strap. They refused to help anyone in the USA, where I am located.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,344
    Superusers
    Monesprit wrote:
    To the respondent- I assume you golf by your picture. I swim primarily, and BECAUSE of my research, I found this to be the best recommended device for lap swimmers. I do none of the things you describe in removing the watch for charging and nor does my partner, whose strap broke in exactly the same way with a month less of usage than mine.

My partner spent 45 minutes with customer service yesterday and still has no replacement band coming yet. So, no, nothing was at all resolved. And further, the unfortunate and useless customer service experiences have just multiplied, rather than proven to have been the exception to generally good service.

Finally, you seem to have provided a link to UK customer service, where I was accidentally routed for my first efforts at obtaining a replacement strap. They refused to help anyone in the USA, where I am located.
    I am not a golfer, that just indicates that I am an expert on the Golfer watch (along with the others). I am surprised you found it to be the best watch for swimming as that is its least usable function, Garmin and others have far better devices, but that is neither here nor there. My point is you bought a watch from a company that went out of business and stopped all production and development nine months earlier, which may have been a mistake. I think the issue you are seeing is that there are simply no bands to be had as they stopped producing them almost a year ago. That link is a generic link for all users, not just the US. I am not sure what to tell you, at this point your only option is to deal with Support, this is a user forum and there is nothing that can be done here.