MyDrive Routes are not syncing and saving on my device — TomTom Community

MyDrive Routes are not syncing and saving on my device

Papabear1963Papabear1963 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
I was recently forced into getting a new GPS as my previous Tom Tom no longer gave me live traffic as the agreement between Tom Tom and Vodafone was not renewed, that is a whole story on it's own, anyhow i purchased the GO 620 and up until about a week ago it worked fine, now when i plan a route on My Drive on my PC, save it and send it to my device when i next switch my device on and log into My Drive the route is not saved in My Routes on my device and it did do this up until a week ago. I have had numerous calls to the "help desk" sent e-mails with pictures and no one seems to under stand what the problem is, i have been told to send the stops to my device then on the device save it under My Routes which is the manual may of doing it, so i asked should i need to reset my device all My Routes which i have had to do manually will be gone and i must then manually transfer them all again yet My Favourites get synced with my device?

Thanks in advance for any asssitance on this.

Comments

• bigbig Posts: 1,557 Superuser
    The first thing to check is that you are logged in to the same account on your GO 620 and on MyDrive. Maybe your 620 somehow became logged out?
  • Papabear1963Papabear1963 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi There,
    logged in the same account on my GO 620.
    OK, it was worth a try :smiley:.

Any help logging out and back in?

Does it work if you sync via the MyDrive phone app?
    Unfortunately not, I can send the stops and they go to my device and I can use them but they do not sync and save in my routes in my device, the TomTom support centre say it is not possible for the routes to sync and save which I know is incorrect as firstly the manual says it can, secondly my device use to do it and thirdly if it did not do it that means if you ever had to reset your device you would have to manually transfer your routes again.
    Hi All, am i the only one who's GO 620 My Routes saved on My Drive do not sync with my device, i have just had to reset my device and all my saved routes are now gone and they do not sync with MY Drive yet My Favorites do, PLEEEEEEEEEASE, can anyone assist me as my GO 620 use to sync the routes?:tired_face:
    If you reset your device you need to log in again on the device with your TomTom account.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,966 Superuser
    Hi @Papabear1963

If you:-

Open and Log into MyDrive
    Click on My Routes icon
    Click on First Saved Route

On the menu that opens with the name of the route

Is the 'Sync this Routes as Track with my devices Selected. ie Green

If not then change and do the same for all your other routes, including new ones you create, and then it should sync.

Doug
    Thanks Big i have done that and MY Routes have not synced on My Favourites synced.

Hi DougLap, my GO 620 use to sync all My Routes from My Drive if i had to reset my device and every time i created a new route in My Drive and saved it the next time i logged into MY Drive on my device it would automatically sync, so the feedback i have had from the help desk is similar to yours, sync as a track, my understanding is that a track only has a start and end point without stops in between and most importantly every time you reset your device you now need to go back to My Drive and manually send each route you have saved as a track this just does not make sense when your My Favorites sync automatically.

Regards
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,966 Superuser
    Hi @Papabear1963

If you go into MyDrive and click on Road Trips then search Under Europe, Coastal and Created by Tomtom you will find a Road trip called the Atlantic Highway which is 313km in Cornwall. To create this route you would need more than a Start and Finish so waypoints must have been inserted to get it to follow the route required. When you download it to your account you still get the option to Sync or not the Route to your unit. It is also possible to reverse the route so you make the Finish the Start.

I am just wondering if somehow all your routes have now got the Sync Option as Off and whether if you change it to On they will then sync as they did before and hopefully the Option won't change to off again.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    It allows me to sync my routes as a track and that is not what i want to do i want to save my routes as a route as there is a difference between a route and a track, to my understanding and when you save your route as a track it only has a start and a finish point.

Regards
    Ricky
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,976 Superusers
    Hi
    @Papabear1963

I prefer to use .ITN files for Routes with Stops
    Here's my Method/Workaround I use to generate .ITN Routes using the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    See...https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/planned-route-not-showing-on-tt-6250-1034143/index1.html#post1216212

Example 19 Stop Test....
    714fed01-413c-4948-8873-8ca785ec354a.jpg
    A Solid Arrow Filename Marker in MyRoute = .ITN Route
    33b88266-2e7f-4f03-926a-a1e36ae29520.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    So after about 4 months of non stop battling i have found out that the Route Planner syncing capabilities from My Drive to the GO 620 no longer works since a previous update took place, and this feature did previously work on my GO 620, why would they take it off..... and it was not TomTom that i found out from it was through asking a zillion questions online, and to be perfectly honest while the help center staff are polite their product knowledge is lacking in a big way, for example they do not know the difference between a route and a track. Can anyone help me with a GPS that you can sync your routes with and in the event you need to reset your device the routes are also stored elsewhere and will sync again once you have reset your device, sorry TOMTOM you removed a great piece of software and were also unable to sort my problem out.

Regards
  • TillermanTillerman Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I came across this string of messages when trying to fix my synchronising problems. Finally manged to work it out on my Trucker 5000, which was due to a change of email on the MyDrive link not being consistent with the device setup address. Had to reset the device and update the new email address on it. Thankfully, all routes on MyDrive then synchronised with the device after connecting to the PC.
  • SantaFeTomSantaFeTom Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I had a similar problem and after a lot of time experimenting, I finally figured out the issue was the subtle difference between a route and track. Mydrive seems to define routes as only having stops. If the "route" has waypoints it seems to violate its definition of a route and therefore will only synch it as a track. I don't know if this is a bug or design feature but as a user, it doesn't make sense and causes a great deal of confusion.

I use the web based mydrive to tweak a route that mydrive has calculated between the starting and ending points. I do this by dragging segments to other roads. This seems to insert waypoints in the route to represent the little white circles in mydrive route planner. Once I do this, and save it in myroutes, it will not synch with my Go 620 WIFI unless I turn on the option to synch as a track.

If I prepare the same route using stops to force the route to the roads I want, it will then automatically synch with the Go as a route, not a track. It does this by sending all the stops to the Go as destinations along the route.

The thing I don't yet know is what happens if I am following a track as prepared in the second paragraph and I deviate from the track. Will it keep nagging me to go back to a waypoint that I have gotten passed by making a wrong turn or deliberately? For that matter the same question applies to a route prepared with stops; will it nag me to go back to a stop?

Correction! A route with just stops does not automatically synch with the Go. The only thing that synchs to myroutes on the Go are tracks created by turning on the option to synch the route as a track. While editing a route with just stops, there is an option to send the stops to the Go. After doing that, the route shows up on the go as the current route with all the stops. You can then save that route to myroutes on the Go but that route does not synch back to myroutes in the cloud such that it shows up in an app or the web based mydrive.
    Addendum: For a route that gets synched as a track, there is an option to send the stops to the Go, like the route mentioned above that uses stops to force the use of desired roads. That results in a real route on the Go, like above, with the stops but none of the route customizations that would be in the synched tracked. The Go calculates the route from stop to stop along the route using the route preferences, e.g. fastest, shortest, etc., but none of the waypoints. As mentioned above, that route can be saved on the Go in its myroutes but it won't synch back to myroutes in an app or the web based tool.
  • tomtomsuxballstomtomsuxballs Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    This issue --- how to create a "route" in my drive that syncs w/ the device as a "route" and not a "track" is the worst thing about my device. It drives me nuts when the device doesn't just tell me how to get to the next location if I don't follow the exact route to the previous destination.

I have no idea how to do this, and I've read the above explanations (and many others) many times, all to no avail.

This should be simple, but it's far from it.
  • BrianWattsBrianWatts Posts: 39 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I can truly sympathise with everyone who is attempting to plan a route with stops on a computer using the MyDrive Planner, and then trying to get that route on to the device, so that one can drive from stop to stop on the actual roads that were planned, and have those stops announced. But on my GO 620 it is clearly not possible.

I can plan a route with stops, and those stops are numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. No worries.

Then if I save that route to My Routes, it saves it with stops to my account, but does not save to My Routes on the device.

The only way to get it on my GO 620 is if I hit the button "sync this route as a track with my devices", but it syncs as a track, not a route.

Up until about a month ago, it did sync as a track with stops actually shown on the device (not numbers, but flags) and although these stops were not announced (as waypoints used to be) at least they were there and could be seen on the map and could be anticipated as long as you were vigilant.

But now, all new planned routes with stops sync to the device without stops showing at all. This makes planning a trip with stops virtually useless.

As has been said, press the "send stops" button and the stops are sent, but the track then turns into a stampede between the stops and completely ignores the carefully planned route using the scenic roads or whatever that I chose.

So am I correct in assuming that holiday route planning with stops is no longer possible using this device?

During the last 8 years I have used various TomTom products for safely guiding me around 12,000 km of holiday trips in Aust, NZ, France, Norway, Ireland, UK, Canada and USA and there was always a way to do it. But It seems that a TomTom GPS is less viable for this sort of travel than it was 6-8 years ago when at least you could plan stops or way points that were announced as you approached.

And now, after just spending 50 hours planning 20 days of touring in Germany and the USA, all with many stops, I am saddened and frustrated by the fact that there is no way I can achieve a satisfactory solution. Unless every route between stops is a separate track that has to be called up each time I get back in the car.

Sorry for the rambling rant, but does anyone have a solution?

Brian