(OLD) Western Europe Iphone App and ios 12 (iPhone 6s) — TomTom Community

(OLD) Western Europe Iphone App and ios 12 (iPhone 6s)

james1508james1508 Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has downloaded the Apple IOS 12 software update that still uses the good old Tom Tom Western Europe App ? I am holding off downloading as i dont want to lose this App as i use a data base of POI that i cant use with the Go App.

Thanks

James

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 368 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi James1508,

I have an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 12.0.

I have both TomTom UK & Ireland and (whole) Europe and they appear to work OK. Whilst I've not navigated with them for a while, sitting at home, they both know my location (so can still access the iPhone's GPS) and navigate to a custom POI. Therefore you should be OK.

As a precaution, use the program iMazing (Windows or Mac) to do a full backup of your iPhone.

You can use custom POIs with TomTom iOS GO Mobile, albeit it without showing icons on the screen. I use a third party app called POIViewer (by French Kiss Developments). POIViewer is a POI manager where you can create POIs, import custom POIs, and send the destination to GO Mobile. The only downside is that you can't see the actual name of the POI in Recent Destinations. The positive is that you can use GO so you get decent traffic.

You can use POIViewer with other navigation apps including the legacy TomTom navigation apps.

I hope the above helps.

Regards,
    Robert.
  • james1508james1508 Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Hi James1508,

I have an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 12.0.

I have both TomTom UK & Ireland and (whole) Europe and they appear to work OK. Whilst I've not navigated with them for a while, sitting at home, they both know my location (so can still access the iPhone's GPS) and navigate to a custom POI. Therefore you should be OK.

As a precaution, use the program iMazing (Windows or Mac) to do a full backup of your iPhone.

You can use custom POIs with TomTom iOS GO Mobile, albeit it without showing icons on the screen. I use a third party app called POIViewer (by French Kiss Developments). POIViewer is a POI manager where you can create POIs, import custom POIs, and send the destination to GO Mobile. The only downside is that you can't see the actual name of the POI in Recent Destinations. The positive is that you can use GO so you get decent traffic.

You can use POIViewer with other navigation apps including the legacy TomTom navigation apps.

I hope the above helps.

Regards,
    Robert.

Hello Robert,

Thanks very much for taking time to reply. Also thanks for your advice, i do have imazing on my old pc so could do what you suggest. If its working on yours im sure it will be ok on my 6s. The reason i queried it was because of the issues when ios11 came out and many old apps became obsolete until they were updated and of course TOM TOM have dumped us on this Ap and wont be updating .

Im not a fan of the graphics on Tom Tom Go and my free 3 years subscription has now ended. Im not prepared to pay Tom Tom for something i can get free using Apple and Google Maps. Currently on Western Europe i use a Data Base for Wild Camping in my camper and LPG fuel stations which means i can carry on using Westen Europe until it becomes unusable .

Thanks again,

James
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 20 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I just upgraded my iPhone 6s Plus to iOS 12 & am happy to report that not only is the original & better TomTom app working but also the traffic information & speed cameras service is still active.

Here is an updated post with which I started a new thread a couple of weeks ago but was moved for no good reason to the old thread. I presume the moderators wanted to hide it.
    TomTom could even now reverse their decision & drop the awful new app for the original & best. At least mine will be working with traffic & cameras until January 2020.

TomTom for no good reason declared end of life & withdrew support for the original iOS application over one year ago & tried to make us migrate to the inferior TomTom Go app.

The good news is that the familiar reliable & functional TomTom Navigator app still works perfectly on my iPhone 6s Plus with latest iOS 12.0 TomTom app v1.29 App version 8.300 (2863348) Map " 'Western Europe' v995.8547

Speed cameras & traffic information addons still work perfectly too. I pre-purchased subscriptions until January 2020 before they were withdrawn from the App Store & I am now regretting not loading up a few more years worth. Possibly by January 2020 TomTom Go may have evolved & be more useable but I will evaluate all the other competitors.

It's unfortunate that TomTom no longer want to accept money for the original superior app but my experience shows that their EOL decision was total BS & they could have continued to offer the original app & sell traffic & speed camera subscriptions
  • james1508james1508 Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks Nigelbb,

You are spot on. Why will they not listen ?? Western Europe worked great once they sorted out the POI adding via Itunes. Unfortunately my old traffic subscription ended and is no longer available. Im also Glad that it works on IOS 12. Whats strange is that although they dont support it anymore i am still getting the odd map share update. I was running 1.6 until the update and that didnt work with IOS12 but managed using an old pc with old itunes to update to V1.29 and it works.
    Like you say, i dont understand why Tom Tom wont take our money for live traffic, instead choosing to lose my custom as Apple maps (by Tom Tom) is better that the Go version and its free.
    I need to find an alternative that is similar to Western Europe in the future so i can use my POI map when in the camper.

Cheers for replying.

James