How do I check battery life? As it doesn't show how much charge there is

Hi there,
I have issues with trying to find out how much battery I have left, as it always shows the same, even when it's low. I get the low battery warning and then that's it. When I charge it, it doesn't show that it's charging either, so I don't know whether it has or not.

The current application settings (version) I have is 18.103.0020.311 (09/05/2018). I tried to do a software update recently, and it kept crashing/wouldn't allow it to install.

I have tried to get in touch with customer care/support, however it won't allow me to send an email.

Thanks!

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,158 [Superusers]
    Hi
    @Aussiegirl160283

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon

Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpgFull Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supplyebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpgHalf Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpgLow Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpgOne of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

ATB YFM
  • DogsDogs Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    The Battery on my TomTom 5100 has never worked. The GPS is either on and using power from the car, or its off and never shows that it is charging. Even if plugged in to computer or any other USB charging device.

When unplugged, the TomTom will say "Battery Empty, Going to Sleep", has done so since brand new. You need to treat it like it doesn't have a battery.

No sense in getting a external power supply to carry with you, to keep your TomTom working. Just use your phone, or better off getting a Qstarz or Garmin GPS module and link it to phone. It would be more accurate, use less power, and be less cumbersome to carry around.

Yep, I know what a waste of money buying the TomTom. :(
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,158 [Superusers]
    Hi
    @Dogs

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    (2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)
    (3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-5xxx-6xxx-series-go-4xx-6xx-series-go-via-and-start-4x-6x-series-mydrive-connect-176/go-61-brightness-problems-1025607?postid=1177429

ATB YFM
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 155 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Said on another thread I'd like the option of the battery icon and percentage charge shown on map view so it's obvious whether it's charging or not